dipstick pops out

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
So I recently sold my supra and went down to Oklahoma and picked up a super clean rust free mk3 with a na-t setup. From a shop in Tulsa called Vangs dyno performance. Guy was really cool showed me all his skylines and what not, but told me he':rebuilt the engine put new bearings rings headgasket in it and dynoed tuned it before I picked her up. Set at 450hp and did get a run where he hit 609hp.
I picked her up and drove it back nice and safely and parked her till weather got better due to snow. I drove her yesterday since it was nice out and snow melted away in the streets and when I started her up it was smoking pretty good white kind of blue tint to it thought maybe since it sat and my old one did a little since it still kinda cold was around 40 degrees outside. So I drove her around a little bit and finally got on her a little bit for the first time to see what she got in her and noticed the wastegate didn't open since it has a precision billet 6776 and a hks 40mm wastegate open dump. Plus it didn't feel like a 400hp car like there was something wrong, it just didn't pull like it did when I went and looked at her and test drove her for the first time in tulsa. I get it back home and noticed it was still smoking pretty good and when I popped the hood to check the oil the oil dipstick was not even plugged in like it popped itself out the hole the whole oil dipstick assembly came out and there was smoke coming out of the hole. None of the valve cover ventilation plugs were connected either even the 4 under the spark plug cover ( has a 2jzgte valve cover on it due to FFIM). But those holes had smoke coming out too. Outside temperature was 40 degrees though so it was still kind of cold out so I could see how some could be due to moisture. When I opened the oil cap I did notice a little bit of milkiness... like there is antifreeze in it. I asked the guy about this and he said it is probably from it sitting for a little bit, only been a week of sitting. Says it's probably moisture not antifreeze. He refuses to belive the headgasket is bad but I'm starting to think it's more then that. It starting to sound like rings are shot.

So I want to know what you guys think. I'm thinking bout doing compression test and cylinder head leak down test. It idles fine doesn't overheat I'm confused on the issue. I am buying the ventilation hoses for the valve cover and going to hook up a catch can setup. There is no oil coming out of the oils or anything but I want to have that stuff fixed. I'm trying to figure out why the oil dipstick popped out like it did the whole thing.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
It has the 2jzgte valve cover on it and the 4 holes under the spark plug cover are open so I'm going to buy the 2 hoses off driftmotion for those the other ones I'm going to setup a catch can for those since it runs a FFIM so I can't use stock locations for pcv.

The tube comes out with it too!

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Well I think I might have figured out the problem with the white smoke the car is running a safc2 and the guy said he tuned it but said it runs in the 10s afr. Car doesn't have a wideband. On the list to buy or a aftermarket boost gauge either. Will start a build thread soon on the car once I find time. Will be taking the damn safc out and putting a standalone in.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Nick, you better do a compression test on it too. might get lucky and have it be valve steam seals, but may be unlikely. I do want you to bring it by sometime when its decent out. id love to check it out.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Yeah I will text you when it starts getting nice out have you check her out. I did go out and started her up today and I think I over reacted a bit car definitely needs a better tune going to sell the safc2 and vpc setup and order my ecumaster emu. Runs really rich when idle you can tell just by how it wants to die at idle nut if i tap the gas it goes back to normal for a minute then it runs a little rough again like it getting overfueled. Do need to find a wideband and boost gauge setup and pillar pods I wish I could find the carbon fiber overlay ones like I had on my old supra those were really nice but only ones I can find are the c7 creation ones but those are expensive.
Yeah I was surprised when the guy said it didn't have one in. He owns a big shop in Tulsa has his own dyno told me car is running v really rich you can till too by how much gas it goes through and the smell. Sent me videos of the dyno and pictures of the graphs car has hit 609hp on this setup days before I picked it up

Last edited: