Digital Power Distribution

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Digital Power distribution is the latest technology to come out of the racing world.

Digital power distribution replaces all the mechanical relays and fuses with one neat little package. For the normal street car this is not to big a deal, But in the race car were ounces are accounted for. This little piece of technology helps in reducing weight especially when coupled with mil-spec wiring /32 or /91 or even Spec 55.

Addengineering IPU-16
Life Racing PDU32/PDU8
Ole Buhl Racing PCM32
MoTeC PDM32/16
GEMS UK PM1 & PM2

Coming Soon:

MoTeC PDM30 & PDM15. Same electronics as above except now they come with a threaded stud connector for the power and the other connector is based off the AMP connector found on the MoTeC Mx00 series ECU. Also packaging will be different to bring the price down. So consider the PDM30 and PDM15 the street car versions and the PDM32 & PDM16 thier full fledged race version.

Notice the connectors used? Yes, there they are again, The autosport connectors (see my more than you ever want to know about wire thread)! The red ring indicates a keyway designation of N which is a very typical autosport connector used. One of the 32 channel units has alot of inputs to take care of converting the old analog fuse panel into a digital fuse panel. Cost are pretty high for these parts but for racers, a very critical part as this can also monitor amperage useage PER CHANNEL real time with the appropiate software. Most can talk with CANbus based ECU to send alerts or to have inputs sent to them.

Why you saY?

Well hypothethetical situation (assuming all rules are created 100% logically ok).

With this device, if you pass a certain voltage threshold. Say 10 volts during cranking. The Power module will apply rules to the outputs that you deem not needed for cranking and turn them off. Car starts, now you can employ the very same safety feature that most modern cars have for the starter, above 500 rpm, disable the starter output. So even if you turn the tumbler to the start position, the starter will not engage.

How about you notice that you are not getting 13.8v instead are recieving 11.0 volts? Usually means the Alternator took a dive. So to conserve as much energy as possible Turn EVERYTHING off save for the EMS, Ignition and fuel pump.

You can have logic based control on one input or NUMEROUS inputs to control one or more outputs (depending on how you created the output channels). MoTeC documentation on thier PDM32/16 goes into great detail on what it can or can not do.

Last edited:

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
This has got to be the best thing to happen to auto-electrics since the invention of the starter. It's one of those innovations that makes so much sense, you wonder why hasn't this come about until now?

You said "costs are pretty high". Can you put this in perspective?
What I'm asking is...if someone were planning a top to bottom rewire (harnesses, relays, fuse panels etc.) are we not even in the ballpark?

If not, do you see this technology emerging into something more accessible (i.e. affordable) for the average guy?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
suprabad;1073864 said:
This has got to be the best thing to happen to auto-electrics since the invention of the starter. It's one of those innovations that makes so much sense, you wonder why hasn't this come about until now?

You said "costs are pretty high". Can you put this in perspective?
What I'm asking is...if someone were planning a top to bottom rewire (harnesses, relays, fuse panels etc.) are we not even in the ballpark?

If not, do you see this technology emerging into something more accessible (i.e. affordable) for the average guy?

well

I will give you MY experience as things sit today. :)

MoTeC PDM32 = $5000 by itself
M22759/91 wiring for all 32 outputs, 23 inputs, CANBus and 4 Gauge input. $1000. Some money can be saved here if going with basic tefzel (M22759/16) or the lightweight (M22759/18/ wire).
Autosport connectors = about $500 worth for all four slots.
Crimpers = $300 to crimp all the pins CORRECTLY but not including the monster 2/4/6 gauge power pin. Pictures in my wire thread.
Wire strippers, $100 to $300. $300 dollar one will not chew the wire up and is what I have in the wire thread.
Label Maker, $400. Extremly critical as all the wires will be the same color (White for my project). I use a Rhino 6000 pro.

That is the paid stuff. Then comes the part where no one ever accounts for. TIME.

Assign pins to functions. If no spread sheet. 12-24 hours. If spreadsheet, about 5 hours.
Pull the main electrical harness (not the engine one). About 3 hours if unplugging instead of just cutting. Lot less if snipping away but not recommeneded. Also add time if keeping OEM systems like the A/C system and wiper system. Have to trace and seperate from harness.
Create the new harness with DR-25 heat shrink, and label. 8 hours.
Create logic for turning off, on, flashing (of the turn signals). a/c request, diagnostics etc, add another 3 hours.

To addresss your last question. It will be quite some time before even the OEM go this way. This is a race part for now but hopefully street cars will implement them in the future. If anything top of the line model cars for the manufacture might have this. But forget the low end stuff. Perhaps toyota and thier prius as that is a technobabble of a car :)

clos91T

Jun 29, 2008
Ocala, Florida, United States
I use a similar system where I work, Fire truck manufacturer E-One, Made by class 1. ES key is the name of it, it is a very easy multiplexing system to use, maybe even cheaper than the ones listed.

http://www.es-key.com/

It usses regular deutch connectors, and we use it to control just about everything on the truck

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
clos91T;1101591 said:
I use a similar system where I work, Fire truck manufacturer E-One, Made by class 1. ES key is the name of it, it is a very easy multiplexing system to use, maybe even cheaper than the ones listed.

http://www.es-key.com/

It usses regular deutch connectors, and we use it to control just about everything on the truck

yep

it is a combination of ECU (Command Master) plus slave units for pumps, electrical etc.

More than likely for Multiplexing they are using either CANBus or FlexRay. My guess would be CANBus.

clos91T

Jun 29, 2008
Ocala, Florida, United States
yes they do use a canbus, we have also interfaced it with a computer using xp pro, basically creating a vehicle info center that allows troubleshooting(using j1939 canbus, Most diesels use this as a com) reading codes and some limited programing of the ES Key system. always wanted to try adapting this to a regular vehicle:evil2:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
mst new vehicles use CANBus as the network protocol. just need to know hex addresses and the originating hex adrress along with speed and you are set.

CAN sniffers work real well at deciphiring that.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Another digital power distribution system.
Price is nice! 10 outputs from the POWERCell. MASTER Cell is used for the control. One MASTERCELL can control numerous POWERCELLS. Max output is 25amps but it does not say which and how many outputs can hold that much current.

Follows all the CANbus specifications.

Price is 399 for addition POWERCELLS which makes it extremly cost friendly! ($999 for 1 MASTERCELL and 2 POWERCELL for a total of 20 outputs)

The only issue is that it is no where near as configurable by the end user. All the configurations are done by the factory which might be a good ro bad thing, depending on how much control or what the user is looking to do.

I know GEMS just came out with thier own also...

http://gems.co.uk/?content=pages&id=pm1andpm2

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ok updated the first post.

MoTeC is releasing a more inexpensive version which forgoes ALL the autosport connectors.

update on the first page. No release date set as of yet.