Diff whine - will an oil change help?

pablo94sc

Dec 16, 2009
TN
Found this post on changing your diff oil in the guide on mkiiisupra.net.

I'm getting the whine described in the post above. Before I take it to the shop and have the preload adjusted, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck quieting down the rear diff with a simple fluid change? Thanks ya'll.

PS: I was surprised friction modifier wasn't mentioned in the guide. I thought that was a definite must-have in trac-lok/posi differentials??

Oct 3, 2009
Sacramento
No, unfortunately diff gears don't make noise due to oil. Unless it's a lack/loss of it that's caused damage that can only be fixed by replacing the R&P.

Adjustment might help, but only if it's out of adjustment from time/miles/wear/failing crush sleeve. As long as no damage has occurred to the R&P itself.

If the R&P 'gear face/contact surface' is damaged you'll have to replace them to get rid of the noise.

Andrew

pablo94sc

Dec 16, 2009
TN
Well, I'm guessing the car has been like this for a while now, but my parents (who I got the car from) never noticed it. I only heard it myself when I removed the rear carpet and wood to do some R&R. Since it's a daily driver, I'm going to change the diff oil and look for signs of damage to the R&P. If I don't see any, I'll keep on driving it. If I see metal in the oil... well you know the drill. Thanks!