Dead/Dieing battery or Wiring issue?

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Hi All,
I recently hard wired my CPS, and that's all good whenever the car cranks it starts instantly so thats all fine and dandy. Only thing I have is just noticed today and it's probably happened to me a few times in the last year or so, you turn the key, you hear a click, but no crank... or anything... It sounds like low battery symptoms... but I dont think it is that as this morning when starting the car, I turned it clicked, then I quickly turned back then turned again and it started straight away....

Any idea's guys? I dont know how it gets its initial kick start to crank, unless somethings dirty? blackened somewhere? Occasional-but-rare-bad-earth? just shooting idea's really.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
vas85;925007 said:
Hi All,
I recently hard wired my CPS, and that's all good whenever the car cranks it starts instantly so thats all fine and dandy. Only thing I have is just noticed today and it's probably happened to me a few times in the last year or so, you turn the key, you hear a click, but no crank... or anything... It sounds like low battery symptoms... but I dont think it is that as this morning when starting the car, I turned it clicked, then I quickly turned back then turned again and it started straight away....

Any idea's guys? I dont know how it gets its initial kick start to crank, unless somethings dirty? blackened somewhere? Occasional-but-rare-bad-earth? just shooting idea's really.

Check the signal wire soing to the starter. Should be about 12ga or so. make sure it's connector is clean and tight. then check your ignition switch and related connector. sounds like that is your problem either that or a dieing starter. To check the starter. wait till it has it's problem, leave the key in the on position go out under the hood use a broom stick or prybar, lay it against starter and hit other end with hammer a few times. If the starter is failing this is a good quick check. If it frees up it's a starter if it doesn't it's wiring.

hope that made sense and good luck

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Ewww, the dreaded signal wire is probably going bad. I've got the same problem although my car won't start unless I jump it. Good starter and new battery but click click click. A very common problem. There are threads regarding that issue floating around.

pejay

Jul 4, 2006
madison,wi
gtsfirefighter;925132 said:
Ewww, the dreaded signal wire is probably going bad. I've got the same problem although my car won't start unless I jump it. Good starter and new battery but click click click. A very common problem. There are threads regarding that issue floating around.
i have the excact same problem as you..

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Inspect the Positive wire that runs from the starter to the battery. It may be corroded pretty bad and it could be droping the voltage. I had that problem and I repleced it+ cleaned the other small terminal on the starter and on the engine wiring harness and the Supra starts right up everytime now.

pejay

Jul 4, 2006
madison,wi
when i had the old battery i would just get nothing..
now with the new battery it started the first 3 times but after that all im getting is click click

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Thanks guys for the replies, I have it booked in with my auto electrician on friday and i'll see how he goes with fixing it he thinks at the moment that it's the solenoid... but funny thing when I left from work took about 9th 10th key to get it to start, and then went to the auto elec it started first go leaving from there, went past a cousins, started first go instanty, then went to pour fuel after that and started instantly.

If it was a gone solenoid or something would it behave like that, or would it not start at all as a permanent problem?

gtsfirefighter;925132 said:

Where is this dreaded signal wire.. im going to do some searching if I can gather anything wouldn't mind inspecting myself just incase. :sarcasm:

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
VERY COMMON problem for the Mk3. The signal wire circuit over time cannot provide enough current to activate the solenoid. Several Mk3 guys have fixed this problem by installing a new relay and circuit to the starter solendoid. I did this and the problem was 100% solved. Many guys swapped new batteries and starters, but only the new relay fixed the problem. This diagram is for a VW, but the idea is the same.
autorelay.jpg

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Thanks Tek for that write-up!

I think too that it is a common problem because thinking back now to the times is happened, it's like you turn the key to start the car, and then nothing nothing 3-4seconds later it starts up. That made me think its some wiring issue, and the funny thing though is yesterday after the auto elec like stated above it started the next 4 times in a row, and this morning leaving for work turned the key, it didn't even sit thre cranking just instantly started...

So do these symptoms I've also just mentioned support the wiring issue? If so I can then give this to the auto electrician so he's not wasting his time...?

Thanks in advance.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Yes, mine was pretty random too, but happened more often when the engine was hot, since the heat adds resistance within the solenoid/starter. It did it when cold sometimes as well. I'd bet money that the new relay and wiring circuit should solve your problem too :) I wired the start signal for the relay directly to the igntion key switch, I think it was a black/white wire.