Dash symbol curiosity and Power window question

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
This light came on:
ZLK5tDD.jpg

I assumed it was needing more coolant, which it did, so I added some, but the light is still on. So I thought I would ask you guys. :1zhelp:

and on the driver side, there's two buttons:
Driver side window up, down, auto-up, auto-down
Passenger side up, down

all of those work, but the passenger up does not, down does though.
So to put the passenger side window up I have to reach across to the passenger side and push that button up.

I was wondering if that would be a wiring problem, or if maybe the window motor is bad?

I have the motor as a possibility in my mind because when I put my windows down I auto-down my driver side and push my passenger down as well, and the passenger is slower than the driver side.

Sorry for the wall of text! Hope someone can help!:aigo:

Last edited:

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
the dreaded bird nest. When I got it, it was because I had a blown head gasket on my 7m. Hope you don't have the same luck!

But yeah that means youre low on coolant

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
That light is activated by the float in the coolant overflow bottle. Did you add coolant to that as well?

As for the switch the contacts inside are known to foul up over time. Luckily these are easy to get to and easy to clean. That is your problem.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
xzeror;1943039 said:
the dreaded bird nest. When I got it, it was because I had a blown head gasket on my 7m. Hope you don't have the same luck!
But yeah that means youre low on coolant
Shhhh, don't even talk about it. D:

Dirgle;1943041 said:
That light is activated by the float in the coolant overflow bottle. Did you add coolant to that as well?
As for the switch the contacts inside are known to foul up over time. Luckily these are easy to get to and easy to clean. That is your problem.
I did not add any into an overflow bottle because (I can't remember why) I was under the impression that I had no overflow bottle and the overflow tube went straight to the ground.
But now that I think about it I really had nothing to put me under that assumption, so I'll give that a peek tomorrow.

Just praying I don't have a blown headgasket, not in the financial position to fix that >.<

But, on the plus side (I hope) I know the symbol just came on after the Oil Change I did because I took this picture the day before, and in the upper left you can see the light is indeed off (andyes,I'mbarefoot,shhhhh):
q4chXKY.jpg

Last edited:

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
GrimJack;1943050 said:
As for the window motor, if that were the cause, nothing would make it go up. If it still works with one switch, the motor must be fine.
Yea, that was my inner conflict.
I'll take your word for it, thank you. :)
I'll check the wiring out when I get around to changing out the sound system, which will hopefully be quite soon (That'll mean things are going my way a bit more ;D) since it's not a huge issue for me, I have long arms.

bearfan

Jul 26, 2012
Montreal,Quebec
I had the exact same problem when I bought my 87 and all I had to do was clean the contacts on the PASSENGER side switch kinda weird but it works fine now

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
grsupra87;1990453 said:
I had the same issue with my 87. I burped it and that fixed it. Park with the front up hill and run it awhile with the coolant lid off and it will "burp" or gradually let air in the system out.

+1

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Silly question.. why do you think you need to "burp" it? I don't see anything here about doing a flush/fill or swapping coolant or filling after putting the engine in, etc...

Normally if the light comes on, its the overflow bottle (99.9% sure he finds it) and it generally means that you either have an external coolant leak or an internal (gasp) leak. Not sure how burping factors in here. Did I miss something?

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
I mentioned it just because it worked for my last Supra. The Birdcage came on, and someone on here told me to burp it. I did, and it worked. Maybe it doesn't apply? I never did a flush/fill or coolant swap or anything like that on that car, but burping made it go away. Had no coolant leaks that I was aware of...no BHG either. Meh, it was just a suggestion that might help. I respect you guy's knowledge, so I prolly shouldn't have chimed in.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just thought maybe a part of the story was missing... Lol.

I've had the birdcage 3 times. Once was because the coolant line to the turbo was leaking, once because the heater core was leaking and once because I was burning coolant (BHG).

The first thing I do when I see the cage (after I panic) is check for visible leaks. You shouldn't have low fluid unless it's going somewhere, so it cannot be ignored. The next thing I do is a co2 test to check for exhaust gas in the coolant (the tester costs about 50-85 bucks and last for a lot if tests.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Honestly, upon first fill up, due to design there is usually air trapped in the system. A search for waterfall behind the dash will bring up the immense topic of conversation this was. A lot of people advocate the raising the front to get the air out. But, with a properly functioning cooling system the air will be purged out after a few heat cycles without the need to raise the front while filling the coolant. But you need to have enough coolant in the overflow bottle to make up for the volume that replaces the air. Otherwise you get the low coolant warning after a few heat cycles. This does not mean that there is a leak or a loss of coolant.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Agreed, but if the car has had nothing done to it and you see that light in the dash it's a sign of an issue. Putting a litre of oil in every 4 or 5 fills doesn't mean your engine is dead, but if that coolant light shows, it's advisable to find out why. It's not the type of problem that should be "accepted" until you figure out why. If you recently did the fluids then it could be a simple burp needed.