damaged cam journal. is this a problem?

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
so i was doing my valve adjustment today after getting the head back from the machine shop. they had done a valve job on it.

i am sure i did not cause this damage, as i hadnt touched the intake side up to the moment this picture was taken, and i was extremely careful in my transport methods getting the head from the shop to my house.

dont know if it was like this when i took it to the machine shop, or if they did this. anyway, is this a problem?

5Mt38.jpg

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
thanks for the reply, IJ.

so no need to get some fine sandpaper and smooth it out or anything? I dont feel any burrs or ridges when i run my finger over it, but if i pass my fingernail over it, it definitely snags/catches.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Fingernail will drop into it, fingertip is a better way to "feel" it, as long as it's not raised I'd leave it be.
(if it happened after it ran last time (at the shop) it'll be raised, if it's preexisting it'll be low and not an issue)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
No probs, you're welcome!

One of the 7M "cam issues" is the factory used a soft Babbit coating on the Cam journals to prevent cold start wear, if your oil filter gets dirty it goes into bypass and circulates crap through the engine, this in turn gets stuck in the babbit material and chews up the cams and head :(

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
and that is the case that would likely cause a high point at the end of the scar right?

is it possible that since there is no collection of debris, this is a casting flaw?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Cyrus;1842845 said:
and that is the case that would likely cause a high point at the end of the scar right?

is it possible that since there is no collection of debris, this is a casting flaw?
You usually see the Babbit scared up a LOT if it's debris, might be a flaw but that's not "normal" for Toyota they have really good QC in general, probably happened at sometime in the last 20 years ;)

As I said I wouldn't be at all concerned by it!

Most are MUCH worse, hopefully this thread will reinforce the importance of a clean filter on 7M,s in particular and all engines in general.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
got it. my concerns are alleviated. :)

and, i'm usually pretty good about maintenance, so hopefully i wont see this bearing get worse, nor see anything similar happen to any of the other bearings.

thanks again!

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
You only need to worry if it looks like this.... :biglaugh:

IMG_0474b.jpg