Cutting coil

jaybee

Aug 8, 2012
LA
well am thinking about cutting the coils coz i dont have cash for some drop coils..

did anyone every has a cut coil...i wanna drop it 1.5"...post pic would be great...thanks

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Do you plan on replacing your dampers as well? If not, you're going to hit a bump and feel it for 4x longer than you should...

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
This is an AWFUL idea and could end very badly. When you cut a spring it will not longer sit in its seat properly.
Save your self alot of trouble and headaches by saving the money to buy the proper parts. I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT CUT YOUR SPRINGS!

Dub537h

Jun 17, 2012
Ive had some experience with cut springs. My friend and I cut the coils on his Honda Del Sol. He got greedy and cut too many coils so it rides on the bumpstops. Its a kinda rough ride but I kinda like it...If you cut any only do a coil and a half at max. Anymore and youre probably asking for trouble.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Eibachs are like 250 new. Even cheaper if you buy used.

Save your self the time and trouble and do it right.

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
Yeah, you are talking about a DELSOL that is probably close to a thousand pounds lighter than a Supra. When you say that you have 'experience' cutting coils and follow it up by passing blame onto your friend for getting greedy with cutting the springs it doesn't seem to me that you did anything but stand there and watch him do it or you can't take accept fault for your actions. Don't be a cheap ass ricer and do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again. It will be well worth the wait in the end!

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
No need for name calling. Do not cut coils off of springs it is not needed and for the effort a decent set of higher rate springs can be had.

Definitely! I'm actually looking forward to replacing the ones that are on my wife's car because she has the springs that have been cut, but that's how we got the car, and trust me! not a very comfortable ride. Simply going to replace the springs with hopefully some used springs just until we can get a complete coil over set up for her car. Worth the wait in my opinion, JS

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Mk3turbo_newb;1877684 said:
Definitely! I'm actually looking forward to replacing the ones that are on my wife's car because she has the springs that have been cut, but that's how we got the car, and trust me! not a very comfortable ride. Simply going to replace the springs with hopefully some used springs just until we can get a complete coil over set up for her car. Worth the wait in my opinion, JS
I have a set of Megan coilovers for sale if you poke around the FS section... ;)