custom MKIII sub box

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Robins Air Force Base, GA
i dont kno if this is the correct thread but i figured since i am building it and it is going in my supra that it would work.

any way, the first thing i want to say is i got this design from someone else, i cant remember if it was on here or on craigslist, but the guy was selling his supra and had a pic of his box so i thought about using it. sorry i dont know who you are but thanks for the idea. give credit where credit is due.

now on to the box, it is made custom to fit into the trunk of the mkiii up against the back seats, while still allowing some trunk space so you still have functionality with your subs. i am posting some pics of it on here in its current state and will continue to post once i have it covered and installed.

the materials consist of 3/8 inch thick plywood, silicon caulking, small nails and wood glue, and for the covering, and thin layer of carpet (can be any color)

my box holds two 12" mtx audio thunder 4500 series subs and and xplod 1200 watt amp on top.

and here is the first set of pics, let me know what ur guys takes on this set up is.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Good idea on the design(looks a lot like the box I made for my 1st MK2) but it really isn't the right material,or thick enough,especially for a pair of 12's.
Medium density fiberboard(MDF) 5/8" or thicker is the material of choice for speaker boxes.
Plywood,and even worse,thin plywood will flex a lot,and cause a ton of distortion,and should really be screwed together as the nails will "push out" over time.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
toy fanatic78;1317935 said:
Good idea on the design(looks a lot like the box I made for my 1st MK2) but it really isn't the right material,or thick enough,especially for a pair of 12's.
Medium density fiberboard(MDF) 5/8" or thicker is the material of choice for speaker boxes.
Plywood,and even worse,thin plywood will flex a lot,and cause a ton of distortion,and should really be screwed together as the nails will "push out" over time.

I couldn't agree more.

It really is a nice try though and it'll hold up possibly until if and when you want to make another one.

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
mostly thats what it is, is somewhat of a prototype until i get enough money to get the correct wood and perfect the design.

but although the box is made of plywood and nails i have put stabilizers in the center of the box that help protect the sturdiness of it along with the silicon caulking which will help the nails from moving much. then of course once i put the glue on for the carpet that should also help with a little bit of a block of the nails. but we will see how it holds up for awhile and see what the sound is. if i had the money i would have also dyna-matted the interior of the box but that can get very expensive very fast you know?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I don't know much about sound, so this may be a bad idea given the application, but you could increase the stiffness of the box if you put a layer of fiberglass over it. That would also help with the problem of the nails backing out, as well as being fairly cheap.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Ive built many apon many sub boxes. From port tuned, Kicker L7 12's (the squares) to sealed 10's and 12's. You will always want to use MDF for building sub boxes. 3/4" is prime for a set of 12's.
To thin of board or a leaking sealed box will cause distortion like toy said.
Damn I should post pictures of the box I built for the MK3, rear seats removed instead of subs in the trunk. The targa can still come off no matter where I am :)

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Here's the one from my MK2,rather similar design,it fit tight against the seats,and was shallow enough to still open the false floor in the hatch.They sounded good for some cheapo 10's.(sorry pic sucks)
p1318596_1.jpg

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
i understand the wood issues its just at the moment i dont have a tone of cash on hand so i bought what i could afford, you guys kno how it is.

other than the wood issues what other thing can you guys tell me that you like and dislike about the box?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Well I was said by local professional sound installers, that you really won't hear a difference between plywood and MDF. MDF is just easier to cut but produces more dust IIRC? Thickness on the other hand is a different thing...
Looks like it's an OK box :) Though I' would've done an upward-facing box(?), not rear facing.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
ValgeKotkas;1319205 said:
Well I was said by local professional sound installers, that you really won't hear a difference between plywood and MDF. MDF is just easier to cut but produces more dust IIRC? Thickness on the other hand is a different thing...
Looks like it's an OK box :) Though I' would've done an upward-facing box(?), not rear facing.

Mdf isn't any easier to cut.And you will hear a difference as the MDF is a bit denser than the plywood(especially 3/8" thick plywood.)

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
got the box covered and installed yesterday, will post pics soon.

i think i mis measured a little but not enough to really count, the box is just a little wider than predicted, no big. after installing everything and hooking it all back up i tested the subs with my test song scream by avenged sevenfold, the subs performed fine, it didnt sound like there was any distortion at all or any rattling.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

89TBen

Sep 11, 2006
Mizzou
thats a pratty good idea for a box. heres my 2 cents tho. its generally not a good idea to put your amp on the speaker box. the reason is that nomatter ho stiff the box is it still vibrates. this vibration over time can cause the internal components of the amp to virate loose and fall off inside. then you end up with a bad amp. and beins the wood is soo thin its going to vibrate and flex alot. i have my amp screwed to my back seats. theres other places you can put it too. thats just my opinion. just dont want to see you burn up your amp and then have nothing after all that work.

it looks nice tho and i bet it will sound really good once you can afford mdf. on a side note i just went to lowes and had pieces cut out of 3/4 inch mdf. the 4 by 8 sheet and all the cutting was like $32.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
walkertx2008;1320056 said:
got the box covered and installed yesterday, will post pics soon.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Thats a good amp you got there, super cheap and seem to last really long. The one I have has seen ALOT of abuse and still works great. They can make decent wattage when bridged down to 2 ohm (not sure if you have done that)

If you put that amps full potential of 500 watts rms to your subs, wired in parallel, sound quality will be much more crisp and have alot more punch. Looks good and keep the metal pounding ;)