Current import lockdown on Toyota JDM parts, possible solution?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
All, a thought I just had: Toyota currently does not allow parts for JDM models to be imported to US based suppliers. However, if we were to have a trustworthy member on that side of the ocean, would it be fiscally feasible to have them buy parts every few months, then ship to the US? Would the import tariffs put the price too high in this case?

Just something to consider given how many people on here have 1j/2j parts in all sorts of cars... I know there have been other options in many cases provided by our vendors, but it never hurts to have other sources for parts, right? :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Never hurts but I don't expect them to keep prices for what they are now. Obviously supply and demand will play a role here and only a few members would put out the cash for it. More high school kids are doing these swaps and are trying to build a Supra on a 1000 dollar budget. -_-

Let's not forget the lowball we who won't take into consideration someone's time to help the community. It's doable, just, is it wroth doing for the FEW members who would pay the price. I won't expect someone to keep the prices where they are now as we won't be able to get them without their help, so an increased price for new and used 1JZ parts is in the near future.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Was just a thought I had, didn't know how many, if any, members we had with access to JDM parts that we can't have anymore. Granted, IJ makes a good point, the USD isn't worth a USD anymore, so it would likely be a pricey prospect.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1806828 said:
Was just a thought I had, didn't know how many, if any, members we had with access to JDM parts that we can't have anymore. Granted, IJ makes a good point, the USD isn't worth a USD anymore, so it would likely be a pricey prospect.
Yep 1USD = 1.07 AUD at the moment...HTF did that happen, in the past it's been 1 USD = AUD.46c..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
clutch;1806831 said:
I am in the UK right now and I may be able to assist with this just want to know how you want to go about doing this.
Personally, I have all I could possibly need for the most part. If we don't have it, we make it here, since nobody out here in BFE even knows what my engine is haha... Just trying to throw an idea out there. :)

IJ.;1806855 said:
Yep 1USD = 1.07 AUD at the moment...HTF did that happen, in the past it's been 1 USD = AUD.46c..
So, what has the Ute swap cost you compared to the Supra LSx swap? ;)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I bring in parts from Japan every now and then, though almost exclusively for my own usage/friends that need specific things. The loss of cheap 1JZ bellhousings/gasket sets, etc., from the USA is kind of suck.

Jeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1807167 said:
Personally, I have all I could possibly need for the most part. If we don't have it, we make it here, since nobody out here in BFE even knows what my engine is haha... Just trying to throw an idea out there. :)

So, what has the Ute swap cost you compared to the Supra LSx swap? ;)
About half ;)