Cryptic clunk

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
My 88 MKIII has developed a clunk that I cannot find and I'm trolling for suggestions.
The problem:
Very low-pitched clunkety-clunk which is timed w/ the suspension movement (not the body), ie it's most noticeable on rough road at 20 to 30 mph. It sounds like a loose swaybar or strut (they're tight)...or a loose caliper (locktite-tight). I can't reproduce the sound on the lift by bouncing/shaking the car & I've tapped 'everything' w/ the BFH & it's all snug.

What I've tried:
Replaced the lower ball joints since they were worn.
Replaced the DS support bearing - it didn't clunk, but was sloppy & 1988.
It's not affected by braking or on curves either direction. Acceleration & deceleration, coasting, engine off, gear selection (haven't tried driving 30 mph in reverse on a rough road).
Sharp weaving left & right doesn't change it.
Brake calipers are tight, rotors are solid, pads are EBC redstuff, wheels are sawblades. There's nothing loose in the trunk, suspension bushings are all solid & I've retightened all the mounting bolts for the engine/trans since I recently did the BHG-thing.
So, any thoughts are appreciated. I don't like unexplained noises - it may be trivial, but I don't wish to learn otherwise at freeway speeds or on my twisty mountain roads.
David

AfterDark

Aug 10, 2009
Jerzy
syty1;1455030 said:
My 88 MKIII has developed a clunk that I cannot find and I'm trolling for suggestions.
The problem:
Very low-pitched clunkety-clunk which is timed w/ the suspension movement (not the body), ie it's most noticeable on rough road at 20 to 30 mph. It sounds like a loose swaybar or strut (they're tight)...or a loose caliper (locktite-tight). I can't reproduce the sound on the lift by bouncing/shaking the car & I've tapped 'everything' w/ the BFH & it's all snug.

What I've tried:
Replaced the lower ball joints since they were worn.
Replaced the DS support bearing - it didn't clunk, but was sloppy & 1988.
It's not affected by braking or on curves either direction. Acceleration & deceleration, coasting, engine off, gear selection (haven't tried driving 30 mph in reverse on a rough road).
Sharp weaving left & right doesn't change it.
Brake calipers are tight, rotors are solid, pads are EBC redstuff, wheels are sawblades. There's nothing loose in the trunk, suspension bushings are all solid & I've retightened all the mounting bolts for the engine/trans since I recently did the BHG-thing.
So, any thoughts are appreciated. I don't like unexplained noises - it may be trivial, but I don't wish to learn otherwise at freeway speeds or on my twisty mountain roads.
David

Does your steering wheel shake/vibrate when u hear the noise?

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
check all ur control arms Camber bolts( might as well check all ur bushes too) fronts and rear make sure here tight..