Coolant leak

SRBSupra

Jun 29, 2015
North America
Hello!

My first post here... and it's a help request :(

Today my engine started leaking coolant. The leak is coming from a rubber cap clamped over an opening on the right side of the engine, all the way at the end. Picture was taken from the right side, standing midway toward the back, looking down at the engine compartment.

I have no idea what that part is, what it's called or how to replace it (yes, I did try searching through the parts list/manuals on Cygnus X1 site). I assume it is a straight forward unclamp old, clamp on a new rubber cap process. Any info/advice regarding this part and the issue would be greatly appreciated!

supraleak1.jpg

SRBSupra

Jun 29, 2015
North America
Thank you, sir! This part has caused me a world of grief... it has been slowly leaking for months, dripping slowly coolant down the engine/transmission separation. By the time that coolant had hit the ground it was yellow and oily, making me believe it was oil dripping, but it made no sense seeing oil dripping from that spot. It all makes sense now and fortunately it was a $3 part.

I have ordered the replacement part and it should be arriving tomorrow! I will (of course) flush the entire system and fill it up with new coolant. In your experience, should I have any issues going to the long-lasting red Toyota coolant after the car has been run on the old green coolant? Any adverse effect on hoses/internals?

Thanks!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No adverse effects.

I would try and get as much out as possible tho and then use distilled water if using the red stuff. The pink stuff is pre diluted so water needed but you would need 2 gallons.

They also might have an after market brand available as well that could be cheaper for the pink.

SRBSupra

Jun 29, 2015
North America
Thanks again!

So, is the pink super long life coolant the same as diluted red (long life). Can I use either one in the Supra and which one would you recommend as better suited for a Mk3?

I also found the reference for a sealant that needs to be applied around the engine drain plug - according to the repair manual (http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=CO&P=5) Part # 08833-00070. Normally I wouldn't be stingy over a few bucks, but this sealant is listed at over $100 at my local dealership. Is that something that's needed or a 'nice-to-have' item on the threads of the drain plug?

Another question: do you mix the red coolant with the distilled water and then pour into the radiator or do you pour them together, or one and then the other and let them mix in the engine? I know... a lot of dumb questions, but I obsess about the details :)

Well, I have replaced the plug. It took about an hour as the plug is difficult to reach and the clamp that secures it is even more difficult to remove. It's holding and I drove the car yesterday. It's so nice having it back and operational again :)

Thanks again for your advice!!!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The pink is a OAT coolant (sebicate),and it is said that it does not have additives to protect against copper/brass components in the older cars. Use the red stuff instead and premix it before adding to the car with distilled water.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
3p141592654;2056406 said:
The pink is a OAT coolant (sebicate),and it is said that it does not have additives to protect against copper/brass components in the older cars. Use the red stuff instead and premix it before adding to the car with distilled water.

Let me tack on to what he said. I bought a new radiator from Toyota (Nippondenso) and it was cast in aluminum.