Coolant leak behind head

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
I have a mystery coolant leak behind the head. It drips off the bellhousing and the block is wet on both sides of the engine. There is also coolant on the underside of the metal pipe that runs across the back.

It doesn't seem to be consistent though. Yesterday I started the car and I could see dripping from the downpipe and bellhousing, but it stopped after 5 minutes. Sometimes there's a small pool of coolant under the car, sometimes there isn't.

Anyone have any ideas? At most it leaks maybe 1/8 of a gallon in two weeks of sitting parked (not my dd). Is the engine gonna have to come out?

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Update for anyone's future reference. After some spelunking and staring at pictures I found the leak to be coming from the coolant hose that connects to the back of the head. It appears the coolant drips onto the coolant pipe behind the engine, then runs down to the passenger side. It also seems to run along the back of the head and drip down the driver side of the block.

zac101191

Jan 22, 2014
wheelig
Sounds like a easy fix. I know when I changed my injectors and fuel rail I had to mess with that hose it doesnt seem to bad