coolant additives

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
coolant additives which ones to you guys use? red line Water Wetter, royal purple Purple Ice or any others? which is the best in you opinions?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
How about none of the above ;)

On a well functioning cooling system, these type additives are not required. I would only use one if I was running 100% water in a track car. Using these additives in combination with certain coolants (Toyota Red is one) can cause a slime like deposit in the radiator.

Just use Toyota Red or Zyrex G05 coolant at a 50/50 mix. If you switch from any other coolant, make sure the system is thoroughly flushed with water 1st.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've run the Royal Purple before...wasn't impressed.

Keep in mind that none of them will protect the cooling system as well as coolant. Corrosion protection, water pump lubrication, ect. They don't affect the boiling or freezing point as well (coolant raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point).

Water wetter's effects aren't enough to replace the protection of coolant IMHO. If you're overheating, water wetter is a band-aid and won't save you in the long run...

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
Poodles;1275483 said:
I've run the Royal Purple before...wasn't impressed.

Keep in mind that none of them will protect the cooling system as well as coolant. Corrosion protection, water pump lubrication, ect. They don't affect the boiling or freezing point as well (coolant raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point).

Water wetter's effects aren't enough to replace the protection of coolant IMHO. If you're overheating, water wetter is a band-aid and won't save you in the long run...

i was just thinking of using it for some extra protection