Conversion from NA to SUPERCHARGED NOT Turbo....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
redrocco;1891165 said:
The VOLVO/PARKER F11-005 hydraulic motors are rated for maximum intermittent of 14,000RPM and max continuous of 12,800RPM. They are used on hydraulic chain saws and other such high speed apps. They only weigh about 11 LBS and are about 4 inch by 4 inch by 5 inch. The eaton M112 supercharger has a max RPM of around 14,000 and the M90 is around the same. Most whipples max out at around 16,000 so if any of these were driven by the F11-005 they should make plenty of boost.

link to one on UK ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOAC-VOLV...CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item3f1dcab9a9

Link to the parker F11 catalog
http://www.parker.com/literature/Literature Files/hydraulicpump/cat/english/F11-F12_HY17-8249-US.pdf
What about the load rating, not sure on Modern Blowers but the old 6/71's would take 100hp to turn at 5000 rpm.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
At 12,800 RPM the f11-005 has about 20 LBS TQ and 19 HP if my math is correct. Probably wouldn't spin a big old 871 but should be just fine for a 1.5L to 3.0L whipple or autorotor style supercharger.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
A couple view points of my own, although some of the ideas presented are quite interesting to me...

-I can only think of maybe 2-3 modern boosted cars running superchargers anymore, most are high end sport/super cars.

-A small, responsive turbocharger setup will make a smaller engine feel bigger. Size it right, and you won't have noticeable lag. Example that comes to my mind is the later Z31 turbo 300zx. They spooled so fast, it felt like you were driving a small displacement V8.

To play devil's advocate here, a smaller ball bearing turbo would grant near instant spool over a nice rpm range, and still provide that extra "oomph". :evildeal:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
te72;1891457 said:
To play devil's advocate here, a smaller ball bearing turbo would grant near instant spool over a nice rpm range, and still provide that extra "oomph". :evildeal:

Modern turbos have far better characteristics than the turbos most of us are used to. Hell, throw in modern variable vain technology and it's even better (look at the porsche 911).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poo, I'd love to be able to run a VGT, but controlling them seems the difficult part. There was a brand (Aerocharger?) that seemed to be along those lines. Really neat setups, but they were more focused for snowmobiles.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, lots of ways to do it.

- Quick-spool valve
- Antilag
- Honda's flapper style
- Porsche's moving veins
- diesels that slide a plate back and forth

Even without that, a modern designed turbo (turbine wheel, compressor wheel, housings, ball bearings, sized correctly) will spool like nobody's business and supply serious low end torque.

Hell, a properly sized turbo doesn't really have lag. If you have lag, it's called a transmission...downshift.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Poodles;1892431 said:
Yep, lots of ways to do it.

- Quick-spool valve
- Antilag
- Honda's flapper style
- Porsche's moving veins
- diesels that slide a plate back and forth

Even without that, a modern designed turbo (turbine wheel, compressor wheel, housings, ball bearings, sized correctly) will spool like nobody's business and supply serious low end torque.

Hell, a properly sized turbo doesn't really have lag. If you have lag, it's called a transmission...downshift.

This guy knows whats up. It's not the 80s anymore...in 30 years, there has been massive leaps and bounds made in turbo technology. Heck, in just the past 5 years there have been. I dont imagine there to be massive improvements (like billet compressor wheels have been) to happen again in the near future, unless VGTs or foil bearings become feasible, but engineers will find a way!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Look at the original 911's for example. The term "slow in fast out" was made for them because the turbos weren't progressive in their power delivery...

ianstaley

Jul 21, 2011
Pontefract
I have to admit guy's I liked this statement best "If you have lag, it's called a transmission... down shift." the biggest point I was trying to look at was doing as little as possible to the bottom end of the engine other than regrind ect. By using turbo pistons I would be reducing the compression a bit, however, so to hear with a supercharger that would be a backwards step. So right now still thinking about the future. I do realise that a modern Turbo is nothing like the KKK that I had fitted to the beamer. So that may still be the best way. Need to check out the net for the differences in the blocks. Thanks all .....