Comptable igniter for 2JZ-GTE Coils on Haltech 2000

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
So I'd really like to run TT coils on my 7M with the Haltech 2000. I'm wondering if anyone runs a similar setup and what igniter they run? I'd like something reliable that I'm not going to have the typical 7M igniter issues with. At the same time, I'm on a budget, so no $2,000 MoTeC unit for me. Should I just get a TT igniter or is there a better solution?

Mike

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
You could use a pair of the DH61 igniters - see my writeup on using them with the 2JZ-GE waste fire coils.

Or use a DH61 and waste fire coils - plenty of spark power, and will save $$

Or get a CDI system - 3 channels for waste fire coils or 6 for the GTE coils.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
a stand alone CDI unit like the AEM CDI with at least 6 channels will work, as will any standard 6 channel (at least) igniter.

I would use the toyota igniters if possible as they better match the dwell settings on the coils. A CDI box or dumb ignitor will need to be set up properly for coil dwell etc. in your ECU.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Funkycheeze;1630881 said:
a stand alone CDI unit like the AEM CDI with at least 6 channels will work, as will any standard 6 channel (at least) igniter.

I would use the toyota igniters if possible as they better match the dwell settings on the coils. A CDI box or dumb ignitor will need to be set up properly for coil dwell etc. in your ECU.

I appreciate the help but I'm more looking for people who run this setup and their experience with it. I'd be surprised if there was nobody..

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The AEM ignitors and ignitions are junk, I have seen many of them fail. M&W makes some good ignitors , also Haltech offers a tripple channel ignitor for about $155, you would need two for sequential ignition, or another good option is to run smart coils with a built in ignitor. We have had great succses with these using Haltech's, the LS coils work great, but they use plug leads, which may be a good thing on the 7M as there is allot of stuff ontop of the engine, you could mount the coils to the fire wall, or under the intake manifolds and run the wires to the plugs. We have also used the Toyota 1ZZ /2ZZ coils in a few cars including my own, they work great, but they may be a little tall for the 7M.

We are a Haltech dealer and can get you great prices on all things Haltech including ignitors and sensors. PM me if you want pricing.

Randy