compresion test went real bad

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks for the info Ian. I've never taken all of the plugs out first. I always do one at a time with WOT to get my compression numbers.

I'm interested in the new numbers as well since I've never heard of one being higher than 180ish.

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
didnt redo the test but got the head off.defnatly bhg.im sending head to machine shop tommrow.what kind machineing do i want done?can i check on how much was shaved off block when it was rebuilt with out pulling motor or toeing car to machine shop and home?

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
can some one let me know how to check how much was shave off my block?im thinking of just useing a stock head gasket with the arp studs,would that be cool?i am basicly leaving car stock.thanks

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
AFAIK the way you measure the deck height is from oil pan part of the block to the deck. To get such a precise meurement to render an accurate reading you need to measure through a cylinder with piston/rod missing.

Cant exactly eyeball this measurement with a craftsman tape measure...

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
cool well im not gona do all that ima just use stock head gasket with arp studs.sat ima install the head.i was reading my repair manual,it just says clean off the old gasket and drop new head on.the car is at TDC is there anything i need to do to make sure the head/valves are in corect place,im new to this and dont wana bend a valve or any thing,any tips on reinstalling the head would be great.thanx agian for all ur guys help.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
FullNelson;1438072 said:
AFAIK the way you measure the deck height is from oil pan part of the block to the deck. To get such a precise meurement to render an accurate reading you need to measure through a cylinder with piston/rod missing.

Cant exactly eyeball this measurement with a craftsman tape measure...

From memory an uncut block is 198.5mm from the Deck to the Crank Tunnel.

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
so after cleaning the surface and puting rtv sealent in where the timing belt case 2 engine block i dont need to do anything to the head?just drop it on and torque?my frend will do my timing and all that for me.thanx for the help

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Use toyota FIPG ( RTV) in those location ( Badass stuff). Make sure you straight edge the block for warpage too prior to putting the head on. While the head is off replace the EGR cooler gasket (toyota gasket only)( if you plan on running the EGR system). Torque accordlying to TSRM at 80 FT lbs trq as the last sequence. IJ is a very knowledgeable person as are many other members on here too. Help is only a question away.

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
thanx.im noticing that the valves are leaking oil real bad.the head gastet was a lil warped but didnt look blown.im thinking the valve seals were installed incorrect.is there a way to check without taking head apart?

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Remember to ask for all your old parts that was replaced. In this case you know they did replace them. My machinist was very honest and I got my head fully reworked for about 575.00. Always ask questions... (leak test, repair any cracks, bake the head if needed) ask them to check everything and make sure they are in spec. I ended replacing 5 valve guides, all valve stem seals, 1 exhaust valve, valve springs with new retainers... blah blah blah. Take your time... you will be happy with the end results.