Code 52 engine light

Coolmcar

Jul 17, 2016
Kitchener
Had a code 52 took my car to Toyota spent 1100 and still have the problem the checked the knock sensors and the wiring and said that they were good, that the problem was probably my ecu, I purchased a used ecu on a eBay switched it and still have the problem need some help with this please

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
There is missing information to come to a conclusion other than it isn't all good, as you were told. The other choice is the ECU.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Toyota today, does not understand the Toyotas of yesterday.
What's probably happened, is that the rf shielding on the knock sensor wiring has probably gone bad.
The knock sensor rewire is one of the most common repairs we have to do to our cars, but once its fixed right, it's good forever.
Search the term "knock sensor rewire". You'll see what's involved. a pretty simple repair.

PS- exactly what did the dealer tell you made up that $1,100 price tag?

Coolmcar

Jul 17, 2016
Kitchener
The total of 1100 was for diagnosis and then then said it was one of the knock sensors so they put in a new one, light was still on after they installed it then they checked the wiring and said that was all good all I know is after I left it was 1100 and light was still on they said it had to be the ecu, so I bought one used switched it but still no go

When i start the car the engine light is on and when i start driving or rev the engine it comes on
I appreciate any help

Last edited:

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Do the knock sensor rewire... Make sure you get the original, good, sensor back and see if they will refund exchange...

contact me via text...503-930-7268

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They shouldn't have charged you if they didn't fix it. And 1100 for diag and a knock sensor is at least 700$ too much. They screwed you unfortunately. I would try to get your money back.

And ya you need to rewire the sensor wiring. The Ecu have a near perfect record with only a handful of actually failing outside of user error.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Eek. I was going to say that's really poor on the dealer's end, but without knowing about the shielding problem I can see how they wouldn't have many other options.

Do dealer techs ever bother to do a google search? If you search "code 52 supra" into google the first handful of results are the exact answer to this problem.

IT have a reputation for solving problems magically, but they're often just googling their problem and finding the answer that way. Dealer mechanics seem the opposite in that they're tied to their official procedure and miss simple problems because they aren't something that Toyota published in a bulletin or in the manual. All the meanwhile charging $1,100 for a fix that likely costs a couple hours time (at most) and a couple bucks in wiring materials.