Code 51

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Since the code 51 confusion continues by those just learning here's an easily found (by searching) post and one people can point others too. First some background. I'll try to keep it simple.

The ECU is stupid. All it knows is what programming tells it to do. It's programmed to flash code 51 whenever the key is on *and* diagnostic mode (T1 and E jumped) is on *and* one or more of the following conditions exist:

1) The idle circuit is open. Part of that circuit is the switch in the TPS.

2) The air conditioning signal is active. In other words the AC button is illuminated.

3) The vehicle is not in Park or Neutral (if an automatic transmission) with the starter installed on the engine and connected.

Since condition 1 is almost always the cause of code 51 conditions 2 and 3 will not be discussed. That said be sure your AC is off and the vehicle is in P or N when troubleshooting a code 51.

The ECU needs to know when the engine is idling ie; when the throttle is fully closed. It does this by monitoring an input called IDL. When IDL is connected to ground the ECU judges the throttle to be closed. It's what enables the idle speed control system and other functions (more on this later).

The TPS is what connects IDL to ground. Inside the TPS there is a switch. One side of the switch is connected to the IDL wire going to the ECU. The other side is connected to ground. The switch closes (gets "turned on") when the throttle is closed. Therefore a code 51 should *not* be present at closed throttle if everything is working.

So you have a code 51. Assuming conditions 2 and 3 aren't involved the reason has to be either an open IDL contact in the TPS or open wiring in the circuit. Since an open IDL contact can be caused by the throttle being mechanically held open first verify it's fully closed. Also take your damn foot off the accelerator pedal (thanks Nick).

Next disconnect the throttle linkage and either look in through the 3000 pipe or back out the throttle stop screw until you see space between it and the throttle lever. Then bring the screw in until it touches and tighten the check nut. See the TSRM for details. If the throttle body is off the car all this is much easier. Course, if you find the throttle fully closed there's no need to mess with any of this but the bottom line is the throttle plate must be fully closed as a starting point for setting the TPS.

Checking the throttle was done first because it effects other things besides the TPS. The second thing to do is check the wiring. You're going to do this by connecting IDL to ground, same as the switch in the TPS does. Unplug the connector from the TPS and insert a jumper wire into the bottom two pins on the harness connector with it oriented the same way it was when plugged into the TPS. In the TSRM these pins are designated IDL and E2. With the pins jumped ignore any new codes that come up but verify code 51 is no longer present. If it remains either the wiring is bad, you're on the wrong pins, or the jumper isn't making good connection.

With the wiring verified you can turn your attention to the TPS. With the throttle verified closed measure the resistance across the pins that mate with the ones you jumped on the harness connector. They will be the bottom two facing the TPS. Note: be sure you're connected to the correct pins as the TSRM shows them differently for a GTE versus a GE.

Once connected the measurement should be less than 2K ohms (2000 ohms), much less in fact. If not loosen the TPS and adjust it until they are. If you can't get it to less either the TPS is bad or the throttle is still cracked open. If the throttle is closed and you still can't get the pins to read less than 2000 ohms it's time to check the TPS off the TB.

Remove the TPS and twist the lever fully clockwise. Check for smoothness and that the lever returns all the way to a vertical position with the TPS connector facing left. If that's OK place the TPS face up on a table with the connector facing towards the left and again measure the resistance of the bottom two pins. Again, they should be 2k ohms or less. If not the TPS is faulty. If it is 2k ohms or less twist the lever slightly. The resistance should quickly switch to the same reading as when the meter leads are open ie; not connected to anything. If it does this the IDL switch in the TPS is good. Put it back on the TB and try adjusting it again.

As an aside once you get all this done try checking for code 51 by turning the AC on or placing the transmission in other than P or N. The engine doesn't have to be running. If code 51 pops up it proves the wiring between those items and the ECU is good ie; the ECU is seeing those two inputs.

It should be obvious you can test the idle switch at any time by entering diag mode and pressing the accelerator pedal slightly. Code 51 should come up and then disappear when the pedal is released. Another way is to raise rpm to around 2000 and carefully drop it 100 revs at a time while watching the tach and listening to the engine. Fuel cut should be indicated by an abrupt drop in rpm commencing at around 1500. Using the MIL is easier though.

Code 51 is not stored in ECU memory. It's a real time code that clears itself when the condition that caused it is corrected. Therefore no need to pull the EFI fuse the way you'd clear other codes.

One more note: Initial ignition timing (setting the CPS or distributor position) *cannot* be set unless the IDL contact is closed, even if you have jumped T1 and E in the diagnostic block. Do not attempt to set initial timing with code 51 present. Do so and you'll be wasting time (pun intended). In fact, you should make it standard procedure to always check the MIL when in diag mode for any reason.

Ok, so all this concerns what happens when IDL stays open. What happens when it stays closed? If it remains connected to ground when the throttle is opened? The TCCS will see increasing engine speed and airflow yet judge the throttle to be closed, a condition that logically should never exist. In response it will halt fuel injection at around 1800 rpm. It'll be restored once rpm falls to around 1200. It'll do this even if the pedal is held to the floor. Deliberately shorting IDL and E2 then opening the throttle is the method used to verify this fuel cut function is working, as it's used to lower emissions during deceleration. See the TSRM for details about this procedure.

Hope that wasn't so much info as to be confusing. I'll be editing this post as needed...

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Shytheed Dumas said:
Regarding condition #3: I did an auto to 5 speed swap last December and would you know it, I am throwing code 51. :icon_conf

(CEL is on until everything gets nice and warm and goes out, and I'm also throwing code 21 so I've blamed the CEL on the O2 censor - I just found code 51 to be lurking in the background tonight).

So I can do the diagnostics to make sure the TPS is closed/working right, but is it a given that I will throw 51 in my situation?

Normally you should address codes from the lowest number but in this case I'd first eliminate the TPS as the 51 source. Quickest way to do that is unplug it and jumper IDL and E2 on the harness. If the 51 disappears the problem is either in the TPS or the throttle is holding it open.

The 21 can be checked the usual way ie; measuring the resistance of the O2 sensor heater followed by testing the sensor itself with a propane torch. You can also check the heater on the car using the current function on a meter followed by looking at Vf for cross counting as per the TSRM.

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
89TurboPC said:
For code 51, most of the time, a can of Cab cleaner will clear it. Well, use cab cleaner and clean the butterfly plate first before you do anything else. More often, dirt and junk keep the plate stuck open which throw code 51.

Yes, as noted the throttle should first be verified as fully closed. Imo cleaning the interior and exterior of the TB should be done every year as preventive maintenance.

JBatt87T

Apr 28, 2005
Athens, GA
Figured I would revive this thread since I've been using it rather than make a new thread about it.....
I just got done putting a new headgasket/arp's on my car as well as all new belts a new cold start line and a new TPS. Just got the car back together and am getting a code 51 and the car idles like poo. The car ran fine and I did not have the code 51 with the old TPS before the new HG job. However I just switched out the new one for the old one and got the same code 51

I have calibrated the new one and verified that the wiring is good by jumping IDL and E2 giving me only a code 41, made sure the throttle is completely closed, and got a resistance reading well below 2k ohms on the TPS. Still have the code and still running like crap.

***Fixed the problem***

Last edited:

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
Hey jetjock, I just thought I would throw this question up here to try to keep as much info as possible in this great thread. Now my question is, will the "NSW" signal that causes code 51 happen with both an auto and a 5 spd.? All the info I have read says the "NSW" is for automatics. The reason I ask is because when I check my codes I have a code 51, if I press on the clutch the code 51 goes away so I would think the clutch start switch should be replaced but I just wanted to check to see if that makes any sense. The car will not start with the clutch released, and starts just fine with it pressed, so it is doing it's job. I have read a ton of threads on code 51 but they all pertained to TPS, A/C, or auto to 5 spd. swaps, and my car is an original 5 spd. turbo car.

Thanks in advance for the help

EDIT* My problem ended up being a faulty ECU, I swapped it out with another one and code 51 is gone

Last edited:

wielderofsteel

Sep 19, 2012
birmingham
Thought I would put in my experience out in the hope it will help someone else with code 51 as these forums helped me.

When coming to set timing after a headgasket fix my engine check light flashed error code 51 when the diagnostic socket was connected to set timing.

Went to tps and checked the mechanism was moving free and coming to a close on the throttle stop, it wasnt, so that ment the throttle was slightly open, ajusted all that correctly, still had the code.

Set up tps using multimeter and everything checked out fine with that, still had the code.

The problem was one of the lower pins in the tps, (7mgte) when setting the tps I used two wires with female spade connectors to join the lower two pins, these held the connection fine and made everything appear ok.. plug the tps connector back however and the signal was lost, I found this fault by removing the rubber boot from the tps connector and connecting the multimeter from the back of it.. no continuity with throttle closed, touch the tps connector and voila there was continuity again.

I fixed this by carfully bending the loose pin in the tps with a small screwdriver so that when the connector was plugged back in it forced the pin slightly to keep the circuit open. Its been fine ever since.

This would be a very easily missed fault, hope it helps someone.

spartacus

Sep 3, 2011
westpoint il
90mkiiisupra400hp;1843233 said:
Hey jetjock, I just thought I would throw this question up here to try to keep as much info as possible in this great thread. Now my question is, will the "NSW" signal that causes code 51 happen with both an auto and a 5 spd.? All the info I have read says the "NSW" is for automatics. The reason I ask is because when I check my codes I have a code 51, if I press on the clutch the code 51 goes away so I would think the clutch start switch should be replaced but I just wanted to check to see if that makes any sense. The car will not start with the clutch released, and starts just fine with it pressed, so it is doing it's job. I have read a ton of threads on code 51 but they all pertained to TPS, A/C, or auto to 5 spd. swaps, and my car is an original 5 spd. turbo car.

Thanks in advance for the help

EDIT* My problem ended up being a faulty ECU, I swapped it out with another one and code 51 is gone

thats the issue i have i bought a rebuilt engine, a automatic but my cars is a manual i messed around with the throttle and got it to stop the 51 error code but nows theres a error 41 now everythings put together just wont fire.