Code 12 - no rpm signal

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Hi all, I keep getting a recurring code 12, "no ne of g signal to ECU within 2 seconds after engine has been cranked". Unfortunately, this is all Borg to me.
"Trouble areas: cps, cps circuit, starter signal circuit, ECU".
The car seems to run okay, but sometimes it takes up to 3 seconds for the starter to engage. I'm thinking starter wiring or starter itself... I don't want to go off half cocked and start pulling the starter if I could troubleshoot the problem better beforehand.
Mods are: rebuilt engine, 550's, lex, 3" exh. & dp, afpr, MKIV denso fp, Turbonetics 60-1, stock ems. I've inspected the cps wiring, and it "seems" ok...
Will this code affect performance? I have reset it, but it comes back. As I said, it sometimes doesn't want to start right away. Thanks for looking.

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
The computer looks to see if there is a crank signal when you crank the engine, so if your starter is not engaging for 3 seconds this code will set. I had the same problem. Try replacing the starter.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
^correct starter or circuit to starter
NewWestSupras;1394320 said:
...sometimes it takes up to 3 seconds for the starter to engage...

12 |RPM Signal
Diagnosis |No "NE" or "G" signal to ECU within 2 seconds after engine has been cranked.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
No "NE" or "G" signal to ECU within 2 seconds after engine has been cranked

doesn't this imply that the motor is cranking for 2 seconds with no signal? I had a no start issue with my starter and I never received a code 12 when the starter would just click. I doubt the starter is the cause of this code.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
My experience today with this same code and fix. Car ran perfect previous day. Came out to start and it turned over but didn't try and fire. Thought I flooded it (although that never happened b4) so walked away for 1/2 hour. Tried again, smelled gas coming out of exhaust. Codes were checked and clear just 2 weeks ago, today pulled a 1-2 code. Jiggled wires to that CPS by the pwr steer reservoir. Tried again no go. Unplugged and inspected connector there - looked good. Try again no go. Half heartedly took the plastic cover off cps and saw some oil on the bottom, damn o ring.....maybe another day. Cleaned inside up with a soft rag. Turn her over and started right up. Ran for a few mins. Cleaned it out with a cotton swab and rag. Put back together. Starts up. Cleared code in meantime to keep an eye out for it showing up again.

Thought I would pass that on because it was a no start show stopper problem that was solved.

8 mm wrench or socket for cover