Code 11, need guidance

Shazzy

Dec 20, 2011
Texas
I recently got a bigger turbo, manifold, external wastegate, and down pipe and an Afc Neo. My car was working perfectly fine before I took everything apart. But after installing the turbo kit and Intercooler (not the Neo yet), the car has never run the same. It is running rich I can tell by the smell, and its surging, hesitating to rev past 1500-2000~ but when it does rev past it seems to rev fine, the idle is sometimes good, sometimes not. I also installed a new o2 sensor with the down pipe but I haven't changed anything else. All the clamps for the Intercooler are good, everything else is the same. I have not tried to drive the car at all. The most I've done is slowly rev it to 3500. The Neo shows the afm providing around 11-13hz at idle, I can't remember which exactly. And my wideband sometimes shows the a/f as in the 10s and sometimes it is just maxed out lean even though its been calibrated and the exhaust smells

Things I've tried:
Spare AFM I have - didn't change, figured that
Checked the efi fuse - its good
Checked the efi main relay - good
Checked for power at the ecu plug - b+, b1+, battery are good, ignition switch provides power to the ecu when I turn it to "on"
Checked the main intake manifold ground - solid as a rock
Checked the CPS wires - looked good nothing stripped etc.

I don't know where else to go. I don't want to replace the ecu if its still good. And by looking through the site, the ecu hardly seems to be the problem. I don't know where the other grounds are but I'm sure its in the TSRM somewhere.

Last edited:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
When the car surges does the check engine light flash? Or does it stay on for a couple seconds then go away ?

I had code 11 problems recently too and the only thing that would fix the issue is if I played with the timing and moved the cps around. I ended up buying a new cps and have not had a issue since.

I'm not sure this was the problem considering it has nothing to do with what code 11 implies the problem is. But as for now the problem has yet to return but we shall see.

Shazzy

Dec 20, 2011
Texas
peste noire;1837778 said:
what kind of turbo is it??
Its a Master Power t57
peste noire;1837779 said:
sounds like a boost leak to me though.
I've checked many times I guess I could check again
Turbo Habanero;1837796 said:
When the car surges does the check engine light flash? Or does it stay on for a couple seconds then go away ?

I had code 11 problems recently too and the only thing that would fix the issue is if I played with the timing and moved the cps around. I ended up buying a new cps and have not had a issue since.

I'm not sure this was the problem considering it has nothing to do with what code 11 implies the problem is. But as for now the problem has yet to return but we shall see.
When I clear the code it comes on for a brief moment just as the car feels like its going to die then as the rpms jump back it goes away. But when it trips the code its constantly on.

I've wiggled the CPS wires and checked the connector for loose wires but nothing changes.

GrimJack;1837865 said:
Run a temp ground from the battery negative terminal straight to the ECU ground, then check if the 11 is gone.
I will try this when I get off work today. What will that tell me? Bad ground?

Shazzy

Dec 20, 2011
Texas
Interesting. My light stays on but I will test the ground anyway.

What I'm really confused about is that this happened after I changed the turbo setup

Shazzy

Dec 20, 2011
Texas
Turbo Habanero;1837927 said:
Could be coincidence.

Or maybe you bumped or pulled something loose
Maybe. I'm not sure.

I tried to make sure I didn't, I checked every connection I may have touched/moved in the process. All seemed good.

Nick M;1837929 said:
11-13 is kind of low. The spec is up to 30 Hz at idle.
Might be because of the low rough idle. The car has been surging and idling around 400-500 going as low as what looks like 200-300 before it jumps back up. I would assume its due to that at least.

Shazzy

Dec 20, 2011
Texas
Yeah I know about that. Well I just tried the temporary ground to ECU, cleared the codes again and turned it on. Still getting the hesitating idle and the check engine light came on only when the rpms dropped real low but shut off as soon as the rpms came back up. I forgot to try it in diagnostic mode though. The car still acts the same way though. I bet if kept it on longer it would have tripped the code again. Its done it before

Shazzy

Dec 20, 2011
Texas
What do you suggest I do then? I've only been going by what I've been finding by searching for "code 11" on this site.