Clutch reccomendations for 600-700 whp

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Just wonding what is the reccomended single plate clutch for 600-700 whp , on a 2j, T67, cams, full fuel system. I am thinking about going with a RPS stage 3 with a CYNERGY flywheel. Not interested in a twin or tripple plate.

For a MK4, not MK3

Last edited:

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
horsepower doesnt make clutches slip. torque makes them slip. im using this clutch
http://www.suprasport.com/South-Bend-OFE-Street-Series-Clutch-Kit_p_475.html
rated up to 520ft lbs full face feramic like the horsepower freaks clutch. it has excellent streetability feels like stock and has never slipped in all the drag runs ive done. ( launching at 4-5k and has never slipped, granted im only doing like ~300whp but its rated to 500 torque.)

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
RockPaperSwoRD;1335635 said:
im using this clutch
http://www.suprasport.com/South-Bend-OFE-Street-Series-Clutch-Kit_p_475.html
rated up to 520ft lbs full face feramic like the horsepower freaks clutch. it has excellent streetability feels like stock and has never slipped in all the drag runs ive done. ( launching at 4-5k and has never slipped, granted im only doing like ~300whp but its rated to 500 torque.)

The Southbend OFE clutch disk has feramic ring on one side and organic ring on the other. The HPF clutch uses the Southbend FE clutch disk with feramic rings on both sides mixed with a pressure plate with higher clamping force either made by ACT or RPS. I wouldn't recommend using the RPS PP unless you have a strong leg and don't mind dealing with crankwalk.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
2jz88mk3;1335365 said:
What do you think about the difference between the full face option and the 6 puck?
Will the 6 puck be an "over the top why'd i buy this clutch for my DD" pain in rush hour bumper to bumper? Will the full face last half as long from all the nice slipping it may encourage with its "streetability" ?? Is the 6 puck likely to shred a mk3 driveline?

These may seem like vague questions but i haven't DD'd any big single clutches before and i'm also interested.

Not many full face disks can hold 500+ tq, the drivability is much better but it just cant hold the power. The Feramic disks are known to weld them selves to the flywheel/ PP when slipped. The 6 puck sprung hub is the common way to go. The ACT HD or XT PP are fine for daily driven cars, I have been running it in my car for years now. I actually like a pedal that feels like there is something there, stock is like a limp noodle.

Anyways Matt, you already have a great clutch in your car I wouldnt worry about it, I would run your clutch in my own car:burnout:....this thread is for a mk4 build that I have coming into the shop, so mk3 clutches wont work.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I have, fermaic welds to the flywheels and pp's but usually starting it in gear frees it up.. i had it do it once when I didn't break the clutch in enough... now the fermaic is a DREAM on my 2jz mk3 67MM. slips like stock just the RPS 3200 is a cunt because it's heavy.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Honestly the only clutches for that power level are gonna be feramic or a seriously crazy pressure plate...

Or of course multiplate though I dunno why you wouldn't want to run one as it will hold more withough unnecessary strain on the thurst bearings or the risk of welding...