Clutch problem. I think.

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
Ok so my 1jz 5speed swap is finally done:icon_bigg im really happy!!! the one thing i dont like is the car seams to "shake" when i try to get off the clutch. If i get higher rpm it kinda dose it less. it feels like if something is loose or something. I asked the guys who did the swap and they said it was normal since i have a ACT 6 puck clutch. please help dose ur ACTclutch make you get higher rpm for it to not do that. O and it dose it sometimes. I have the following set up ACT 6 puck spring clutch, Fidanza flywheel, and 1p steal driveshaft. Is there a way to maybe adjust the clutch or something, I kinda think it goes in ruffly and its not only in 1st gear, it dose it when I back up to. Please help i never have drove a 5 speed before it was auto, so i have no idea:3d_frown:
Any comments would help thanx

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I am on the ACT Extreme with feramic six puck spung hub. It will shake when the motor and transmission are cold, or very hot on my car. Normal temps seem to be fine.

As far as I can tell from your post it sounds normal. I would be careful with that fidanza flywheel. I have read that it will fuze to the six pucks under stress.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
RacerXJ220;1537433 said:
I am on the ACT Extreme with feramic six puck spung hub. It will shake when the motor and transmission are cold, or very hot on my car. Normal temps seem to be fine.

As far as I can tell from your post it sounds normal. I would be careful with that fidanza flywheel. I have read that it will fuze to the six pucks under stress.

For proof ask SupraHero, Jay has done this I think twice now? Not 100% sure if it was twice, but once for sure. I would go with the Stock Toyota 1JZ flywheel, much safer bet..

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
A factory 1JZ flywheel is what I am using. The light weight units will cause the clutch to shake more from take offs also. I do not believe anyone has fused one road racing, but drag launches are better suited for heavier flywheels when using a single PP + six puck setup.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I have the ACT six puck and extreme pressure plate with a resurfaced flywheel. The only time I could say that I experience some sort of "shake" would be when clutching from a stop in 1st. There is no shake when clutch is fully engaged or completely dis-engaged. In my mind this does not sound normal at all, may the engine be cold, warm, or hot.

I would consider what I experience to be chatter and not a "shake"

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
clutch chatter like that is fairly normal on a heavy pressure plate, with a 4 or 6 puck clutch. even worse when its a solid hub clutch. some multi-plates are horrible if you dont hold the engine over 2500rpms when getting going.

id say your setup is fine, that shake is pretty normal

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
well thanx guys i feel much better now, I thought something might be wrong or so. 1 more question, With time dose this kinda go away or im set for good? just asking. its kinda hard to pull the car in my driveway. lol

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You'll get used to it. I always laugh when a shop tries to drive my car... I should make bets on if they'll stall it out or not.