Clutch not releasing fully

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I'm running a spec stage 3 NA clutch with my 7mgte/w58 combo, I have had this setup for over 3 years without any problems. The clutch was out about 15,000 miles ago when the engine was, and it was inspected and put back in, nothing wrong with it. Recently I developed this issue where I cant get the clutch to disengage fully all the time. Its random, half the time when I come to a stop it goes into gear no problem, the other half of the time it wont go into gear easily at all and have to be jammed in pretty hard, but eventually goes. The clutch is hanging up slightly.

It has a fairly new aftermarket slave cylinder (couple years) and a new Aisin master (less than 1 year old) neither of which are leaking. Pulled the boot on the slave and its dry. I already bled the clutch which made no difference. Tried adjusting the clutch with no difference either. I can adjust all the freeplay completely out and it still doesn't change how the clutch hangs up. There are no odd noises from the clutch or anything like that. Pumping the pedal when this happens doesn't change anything. It will be hard to go in gear, then a mile down the road I come to a stop and it goes in just fine. Its totally random, the only common thing I can see is it usually works fine when cold and starts acting up after driving a while, but that could just be a coincidence.

Is there anything I am missing or could check/try? I would hate to pull the trans only to find nothing wrong with the clutch.

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
My guess is that your master cylinder is letting air in the line. It takes quite a lot of bleeding to get it fully bled. Research that, as I doubt your disk is the problem. Good luck.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I had this happen once, and it's the reason I can pull the tranny so damn fast now, because I did it 4 times in a day trying to diagnose the damn thing. In my case, one of the springs from the pressure plate had disintegrated, and the chunks of spring were jamming between the pressure plate and the flywheel.

The other thing I've seen cause this was broken flywheel bolts.

Bottom line, if you're getting plenty of movement out of the slave, it's got to be something inside the bell housing, which sucks.