Clutch Install Problem - Vibration/Unbalance

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
Car is 88 Supra with 1JZ and R154.

Background -

I've got an ACT HD Pressure Plate and an HPF Bronze 6-puck unsprung clutch disk that I am replacing my stock clutch/PP with. I had the flywheel machined by one of the best shops in FL with the correct step, they took care of the flywheel dowels. I followed the TSRM, threads from this forum, and common sense carefully and completely with the exception of over-torquing some bolts past TSRM specs.

I got all OEM Toyota parts and replaced the flywheel bolts, pilot bearing, rear main seal, and throwout bearing. I replaced the Redline fluid with Torco SGO.

Problem -

Car has a drivetrain vibration/unbalance from first startup after install. Doesn't stop with RPM change or clutch release engagement. It's hard to explain, but the engine has a quick repeating up and down, like what you would expect with a pressure plate out of balance. Visually, I can't really see anything obviously out of alignment when the assembly is turning or stopped, but it probably doesn't take much to create the vibration/balance issue I'm getting. I took the clutch fork out and took the PP off the flywheel again, everything looks great.

Question: Does the PP usually slide onto the flywheel dowels easily? I cannot get the pressure plate to interface with all three dowels without persuasion, like working the 2nd or 3rd dowel with tapping on the PP and tightening the pressure plate bolts strategically to get the dowels in the PP.
The first time I installed the PP, I just assumed this was normal to hold the clutch tightly in place. Now after the problem I'm not sure. I'm not sure if it matters because the bolts all go in fine.

Possible Solutions-

These are the things I think could be causing the problem.

- Pressure plate bolt length and machined flywheel. After thinking about it for a bit, my first thought was maybe the bolts for the pressure were too long now that the flywheel has been machined. They could be bottoming out and creating the illusion the PP is tight, but it isn't. I tested the bolts with a sharpie mark and they are damn close to being too long, but they tested OK by a slim margin. Still possible maybe? The PP looks tight against the flywheel.

- Unbalanced pressure plate from ACT. Does this ever really happen?

- Something funky on the first PP install. I guess this is the "I dunno, but I hope it magically works this time after not changing anything" solution. Maybe something didn't sit right with my PP tightening?

Anyone have any ideas I haven't thought of, any advice, or had this happen to them?

I've been working on the thing for 12 hours straight and I'm tapped out for now. My next plan of action is to bolt the thing back up and try it again, then I'm going to shorten the bolts by a couple threads and see what happens. Then I'm going to yell more bad words.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
I'm going to try to start the car after I reinstall the clutch fork and slave with the PP unbolted and slid back into the housing. Hopefully this will allow me to rule out the flywheel as the cause without the PP spinning. Gonna go give it a try.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
Ran the motor with the fork holding the PP and clutch away from the flywheel and got the vibration. Looks like it's 99% the flywheel. It was honestly only about 1% the problem in my mind before this test. I should've just bought a new one, nothing on this POS should ever be re-used, it's cursed... anyway...

Going to take the trans off again and run it with just the flywheel to make sure.

Last edited:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
just unbolt the pp and slide it away from the flywheel (make sure when you start the car the dowels are not going to hit the pp) and start the car. this will eliminate the pp

have you looked through the inspection cover while running?

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
mkiiichip;1554722 said:
just unbolt the pp and slide it away from the flywheel (make sure when you start the car the dowels are not going to hit the pp) and start the car. this will eliminate the pp

have you looked through the inspection cover while running?

Ya, I did that in my last post above yours, but thanks for the good advice. I looked through the inspection holes at various stages throughout this whole deal, everything looks fine. Input shaft is perfectly still and nothing is obviously out of whack. I can only assume at this point it is the machine work of the shop I took it to, Ill be taking the trans off again for further inspection later today.

edit - Seriously, how could a flywheel resurface throw it out of balance? It seems so far fetched to be the source of the problem. I'm taking the trans off now.

Last edited:

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
I found I had a faulty/clogged injector (not sure whats wrong with it) that would cut out intermittently and leave the motor running on 5 cylinders. Just ended up first happening right on the first start-up after the clutch install, so naturally I thought it was driveline related. It shakes a bit more than usual on 5 cylinders, heh.

Figured it out when I just decided to take it for a drive and see if I could learn anything, the problem would always be gone when off the gas in gear.