clunking noise, suggestions?

dj7mge

Mar 12, 2009
milwaukee wi
backround: i have a 87 n/a 5speed. the car always had somewhat of a "clunk" in the 2 years ive owned it i always thought it was a bad strut, i just updated my suspension with tokico blues and h&r springs 2 weeks ago but the noise is still there. it sounds like it is coming from the right rear which is audible during clutch engagement shifting and over harsh enough bumps. i have replaced both the tailshaft and pinion seals about 20k ago but the tailshaft seal is leaking again. i've had the car on my rack at work whenever i have a chance but haven't been able to diagnose the problem. i am planning on getting a driveshaft shop 1piece steel shaft within the next month but id like to figure out my problem before i install and ruin new parts. any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

dj7mge

Mar 12, 2009
milwaukee wi
its not very loud and is definitely coming from the mid/rear. i have installed a fidanza 10lb flywheel shortly after i bought the car(along with a new clutch) but the noise was there before that, and judging by how tight the fit was during the install i doubt it would ever come loose and if it was wouldn't it make a bunch of crazy noise all the time?

dj7mge

Mar 12, 2009
milwaukee wi
i haven't replaced the u joints and there are all the normal vibrations around 80+mph nothing really from the car more so caused from the road surface and wind. its not a real obvious problem, some people believe its the center support bearing but i think it could be that and/or something unrelated

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Check your u-joints first, they are alot cheaper and easier to replace than a rear end. This must be done with the car in neutral. If its in gear and there is any load on the driveshaft, you wont be able to detect any play. If any of the u-joints have any play, thats your problem. Take the driveshaft off, so you dont have to work under the car and get pissed off. Replace all of them. You may or may not decide to change the center support bearing while its out.

dj7mge

Mar 12, 2009
milwaukee wi
finally had a chance to get my car in the shop today the u joints are tight(surprisingly) but there is play in the center support bearing i could move it quite a bit by hand but it doesn't vibrate or make noise while driving. if that isnt it idk what it could be nothing else is loose