choosing drag setup.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I have done some searching and havent come up with a whole lot of information. I want to run my mk3 at the track and be competitive but still be able to drive my car on the street. The car is making in the neighborhood of 500 wheel. Running a R154 to a 4.30 rear gear. Suspension is all stock accept coilovers and traction bars. Currently the coilovers have 14k front and 8k rear springs. I also plan to run a 16" slick probably in the range of 26-28" tall. Now the question is...

What spring rate should I be running in the rear of the car to get a proper squat when launching? I know the mk4 HKS drag coils ran a 4k rear spring but is that going to be to stiff or soft for a mk3?
What width slick should I be running?

I know these questions are subject to trial and error based on what type of launch your doing and the weight of the car as well as a few other things but I am looking to get some sort of way to figure these things out. I dont want to have to buy a set of springs and re-valved dampers just to find that they arent even close.

Mostly I am looking for some sort of guide to follow to make my own decision or someone to say "here is what works for me with this kind of power"
Any information is a help, thanks.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Heya Scott.. good to see your still around.. lol. Are you running a 6266 on that 1j still?

I believe there was a post regarding the tire portion (I think that's all it discussed though). Will see if I can find the thread and link it here (just posting so I can find the thread again)...

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
Poodles;1988728 said:
Start here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?14479-Your-guide-to-drag-strip-success-w-pics.

Keep in mind an alignment and setup for a drag car is the opposite of a setup for doing anything else with the car. You have to be serious about one or the other.

I have read through that post and there isnt any information about how to choose a tire width or spring rate. I know these are trial and error type things but it would be good to get an idea of where to start.

Grandavi;1988712 said:
Heya Scott.. good to see your still around.. lol. Are you running a 6266 on that 1j still?

I believe there was a post regarding the tire portion (I think that's all it discussed though). Will see if I can find the thread and link it here (just posting so I can find the thread again)...

hey. I am sorry but I don't know who you are. I am still running the 6266 on the ol' 1jay.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Width isn't as important as real drag tires. If money is no object, the bigger the better (and that goes for bigger sidewalls as well). Most of the people I know ran old and blown stock springs and shocks in the rear :rofl: Cheap but effective...

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
Poodles;1988818 said:
Width isn't as important as real drag tires. If money is no object, the bigger the better (and that goes for bigger sidewalls as well). Most of the people I know ran old and blown stock springs and shocks in the rear :rofl: Cheap but effective...

I will be getting myself a set of drag wheels. FD wheels for the rear and FD spares for the front with a set of skinnies. Now if I were to run a 28 X 11.50-16 that wouldn't be too wide of a tire for a car making 500 wheel? From what I understand, maximum acceleration is obtained with 10-20% tire slip. I am doubting I'll be pushing enough power to get into that sweet spot.

In the case of you saying people run the stock struts then I may as well go with a 4k rear spring as that's the spring rate of the factory rear springs. I guess that's now taken care of haha.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
customs;1988859 said:
I will be getting myself a set of drag wheels. FD wheels for the rear and FD spares for the front with a set of skinnies.

Why not go with 15" diameter rear wheels? I didn't see brakes mentioned but if you have stock size rear brakes then 15" in back is the way to go. You will have more sidewall.