Chemical-like odour inside the car

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Within the last 3 or 4 days, I've noticed a chemical-like smell inside the car after it has been turned off. It's difficult to describe, but almost like a paint/fuel mixture. I have had the heat on while driving and as long as the car is turned on I don't notice the smell. However, once I turn off the car, the smell builds up and stinks up the garage and even permeates into the house. It is quite strong. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be a failed heater core? Did some searching but didn't really find anything conclusive. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could be heater core.

Can pressure test the cooling system to verify.

Also check the floors for wetness.

snowman

Banned
Oct 12, 2012
Mpls
Hard boiled rotten eggs is what Im familiar with. First was heater core, then led to BHG, ford mustang.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
3p141592654;1890230 said:
Coolant leak smells like maple syrup, which you should be familiar with :icon_wink

snowman;1890234 said:
Hard boiled rotten eggs is what Im familiar with. First was heater core, then led to BHG, ford mustang.

It's definitely not a sweet smell or eggs. I will try what hvyman suggested and report back.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
It turns out my sense of smell was way off. Found it to smell more and more like fuel and happened to notice a leak on the driveway one day. Climbed under the car and sure enough the fuel filter is leaking. Got a replacement and will be changing it shortly.