Changes to California's Smog Check Program

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
California has revamped it's Smog Check Program. Effective next year all vehicles model year 2000 and newer will have the inspection performed using OBD-II. This brings California in line with many other states in reducing the time and cost associated with testing these cars.

However, vehicles model year 1999 and older must still undergo tailpipe testing (ASM for those registered in Enhanced and TSI for those in other areas). The stations allowed to perform those tests will be limited to those with the highest BAR rating. This was done because research showed 20% of vehicles that passed at "normal" stations failed when state testing was done soon after.

In plain English what this means is fewer stations will be available to test older cars and the cost will likely rise. It also means a reduction of fraudulent testing. The bill has other provisions. For example those caught tampering or otherwise trying to subvert the program will be subject to a $5000 fine.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Thanks for the heads up JJ, I wasn't currently aware of this. Though it makes sense, I was wondering why California didn't preform the OBD-II test when places like Washington state did. It would have made the smog check I did on my truck last week a lot easier.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Sorry Jon, not that I know of. You could email one of those CARB guys in the press release and ask. I suspect any list will be further developed based on how current stations do between now and then. I wouldn't put it past BAR to play them off each other.

Dirgle: you're welcome