CD Player won't play or eject

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
I'm having problems with my CD player that just started today. It is not playing the CD even though it says "PLAY." If I try to skip a song forward or backwards it does nothing. When I hit EJECT, it will say "EJECT" for about three seconds before saying "PLAY" again.

If I go to the FM or something, it will skip forwards and backwards to the next station without problem and the volume is fine.

The problem initially was the CD would have a problem with a song and the song would stop or "get stuck" at certain points like the disc was scratched or dirty. I really don't think it was, but maybe enough to cause problems. But I could skip to the next track and sometimes go back and it would play the previously problem song without a problem. Now it won't play or eject the CD.

Can anyone help me try to fix this or tell me what's going on? Thanks.

The CD Player is a JVC KD-PDR30 which I just bought new earlier this year. The guide for it is pretty useless in solving problems.

Last edited:

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
ive fixed a bunch of these. usually either the mode switch (tells the processor if there is a cd in the unit, if its loading, or if its ejecting.

if it isnt the mode switch, most likely the cd mech is out of time. imagine having the cam gears out of place with the crank. same kinda deal. sometimes if the mode switch is failing, it can cause the mech to go out of time.

either way, prob not something you can fix yourself. you can try to do a hard reset, and see if that takes care of it. if not, either take it back to where you bought it or call jvc service.

good luck

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
Thanks for the info. Today, I was just messing with the thing more out of being pissed off than expecting it to work, but it ejected the disc and I put it back in and it played as well. So I dunno? Is the mode switch something that could work if it is still not working all the way correctly or is it something that once it has a problem it's done until it's fixed?

Thanks again for the help.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
it could be after playing around it managed to get itself back in timing. they usually dont do that without some help tho.

most likely it does sound like the mode switch. when this is bad, or going bad the contacts make intermittent connection. oftentimes people would send it in for not ejecting. i would push eject, and it would work fine. then after you load/eject/load/eject a few times it would fail. replacing the mode switch always fixed it. sounds like this is the case with yours. id expect it to fail again at some point and then possibly work again for a while.

jvc knows this is an issue, and on some models (mainly their older mechs) they came out with an updated switch that is supposed to be more reliable. on their newer mechs, it is a different design altogether, yet often suffers from the same problem.

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
Thanks again for all the info. I really appreciate it. Hopefully this will hold up, or at least for a while before I have to worry about having to take it in to be fixed.