Catalytic Converter Install Question

uniquestyles87

Jan 15, 2012
NOVA
So I'm going to have to get a safety inspection my my MKIV soon and part of the checks done in the great state of Virginia is to verify there is a functioning catalytic converter, I have a custom fabed 3" down pipe with a recirculated wg and a full 3" Nur spec exhaust. I talked to my tuner in NJ and he said he could fab up a custom down pipe for me with a 3" Random tech hi flo cat I have laying around....but I'm wondering if it would be better to just cut a section of the mid pipe out and have a test pipe made with the RT. The CC is going to be purely for visual purposes and I would also like it to be easy to swap between the two. I'm kind of a newb sorry if it's a dumb question:3d_frown:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
uniquestyles87;1794829 said:
So I'm going to have to get a safety inspection my my MKIV soon and part of the checks done in the great state of Virginia is to verify there is a functioning catalytic converter, I have a custom fabed 3" down pipe with a recirculated wg and a full 3" Nur spec exhaust. I talked to my tuner in NJ and he said he could fab up a custom down pipe for me with a 3" Random tech hi flo cat I have laying around....but I'm wondering if it would be better to just cut a section of the mid pipe out and have a test pipe made with the RT. The CC is going to be purely for visual purposes and I would also like it to be easy to swap between the two. I'm kind of a newb sorry if it's a dumb question:3d_frown:

I've always added them just after the DP.

Quick question, if you're using a 3" high flow, why do you want to leave it off? Do you run leaded fuel? The 3" high flows don't restrict exhaust all that much - you probably won't see too terrible of a spool difference.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
uniquestyles87;1794829 said:

I've always added them just after the DP.

Quick question, if you're using a 3" high flow, why do you want to leave it off? Do you run leaded fuel? The 3" high flows don't restrict exhaust all that much - you probably won't see too terrible of a spool difference.