Car wont start. CPS or..?

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Alright. Long story short. I swapped in my new PWR radiator, but when changing my thermostat a bolt broke of.. and I tried to drill it out and extract it.. but the extractor broke off too. So I put on a new Thermostat housing and removed my CPS in the process.

So now to the problem.. The car wont start now. I have no codes, the tach bounces when I turn it over but it wont start. Ive tried to re-adjust the CPS several times, making sure cylinder #1 is at the top and ligning up the hole with the notch (on the CPS gears) etc. It just turns over, sputters but wont fire up. The car ran great before..

:cry:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Boy do I feel your pain. I posted similar symptoms earlier today.

Mine would just turn over, sputter, and backfire every now and then. When the backfire happened, my boost gauge would hit 25psi. It was trying to start; but, wouldn't.

Then after I posted my symptoms, a couple guys told me to go wiggle my CPS wires. I drove back out to where the car was, wiggled the wires, and VOILA!!! It fired right up.

My guess is that your problem is either timing or bad CPS wires like I have.

SO! Go wiggle your CPS wires around, disconnect and reconnect the connectors, and then see if she'll fire up!

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
the cps is notorious for breaking wires. take a careful look at the cps wires as they get really hard and brittle from age. i bet its that also. if thats good, check to see if you are at least getting spark at the plugs.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
If the ECU isn't getting the CPS signal...it will throw a code 12 I believe. But the fact that your tach bounces when you crank the engine means that it IS receiving the CPS signal...so you probably have the timing set wrong...

But check your error codes just to be safe, it may be something else entirely.