Car jerks when accelerating quickly?

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
Don't have much info on this because I can't figure out anything consistent that is happening when it happens, the first time it happened I was in third gear around 5,000 RPMs and this morning while I was driving my roommate to work it happened in second gear at about 4,000 RPMs
The only consistency is it happened when I was accelerating quickly each time it's happened

The only stuff I can find online about it is this guys replies to questions on his video, but this video also shows exactly what's happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miiWgXP9TVM

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
IndigoMKII;1952270 said:
Any CEL? When was the last time you checked for boost leaks?

Not extremely mechanically savvy yet, so I'm not sure what a CEL is.
I just bought the car about a month and a half ago and I've been working in it to the best of my ability but boost leaks I have not checked.

Out of sheer curiosity, (and hope that you'll tell me yes and to get rid of it) would adding a boost gauge and doing a pitiful job of running the tubing be able to cause this? The kid who had it for a month beforeme added one and the tubing is horrendous. Was looking for a good reason to scrap it asap rather than later.
Edit: I ask because I think the tubing could melt with how he ran it

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Kiraush;1952285 said:
Out of sheer curiosity, (and hope that you'll tell me yes and to get rid of it) would adding a boost gauge and doing a pitiful job of running the tubing be able to cause this? The kid who had it for a month beforeme added one and the tubing is horrendous. Was looking for a good reason to scrap it asap rather than later.
Edit: I ask because I think the tubing could melt with how he ran it

Yes, make yourself a boost leak tester and check the tubing.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If you're hitting fuel cut, it'll feel like the engine shut off for microsecond, and you'll get a check engine light on for about 1 to 2 seconds. It usually indicates a boost leak as mentioned above. If that boost gauge tubing has any leaks, it could be the case as well, but check all of the intercooler hoses for cracks or splits, and the clamps on them.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
supraguy@aol;1952714 said:
and the clamps on them.
I may have found the problem, but I'm not sure if this hose is pressurized
There's a missing clamp (completely gone) on this hose (highlighted):
W64170P.jpg

Sadly I cannot put a new one on it till after work tomorrow, but that's not a huge problem.

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
That hose is part of the PCV system. It never sees positive pressure, only vacuum.

I personally would check every clamp to make sure they're at least tight. The ones in the bumper are easily reached if you loosen the plastic fender lining to the passenger tire.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
IndigoMKII;1952781 said:
That hose is part of the PCV system. It never sees positive pressure, only vacuum.

I personally would check every clamp to make sure they're at least tight. The ones in the bumper are easily reached if you loosen the plastic fender lining to the passenger tire.

Damn :c
Guess I'll keep looking, maybe it'll be an easy fix.