can you tell me what part is making this noise ( video provided)

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
Alright folks lets play a game and help me at the same time. What part is making this noise? Please help me so i can fix this.

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
Poodles;1835620 said:
That's your tires squeeking on the smooth concrete of the garage... There's nothing wrong :rofl:

No I wish it was my tires. I hear the noise when I turn the wheels as i drive and also when i put the car in park it will make the sound for a split second. Im hoping someone will see this and recognize it immediately as something they experienced but so far I've gotten 2 knuckleheads mistakingly making fun of me. Anyways i got my endlinks from beech performance today so I'll be putting in my sway bars today maybe I can find the problem while I'm down there

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
That video, with the motor not running, makes it look like it's just tires struggling to turn on the carport floor without the help of power steering. Maybe a better video would help us, after you install the new parts, if it's still a problem.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
berto22;1835721 said:
No I wish it was my tires. I hear the noise when I turn the wheels as i drive and also when i put the car in park it will make the sound for a split second. Im hoping someone will see this and recognize it immediately as something they experienced but so far I've gotten 2 knuckleheads mistakingly making fun of me. Anyways i got my endlinks from beech performance today so I'll be putting in my sway bars today maybe I can find the problem while I'm down there

other than that noise, does it steer funny at all? like does it pull to one side, does steering response seem lower than before? id check all the fron mounts (subframe, control arms, steering rack) and see if there worn. might also help to get a friend to turn the wheel while your under the car to see if you can spot something moving thats not suspose to.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hmmm, really sounds like that, sorry.

Steering rack bushings (I imagine they'd make much the same noise as it's rubber on metal)? Doesn't explain why it would make the noise when you put it in park though...

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
Alright guys thanks for the help. I was only able to take off the back sway bar in about 3 hours before I had to leave. Rust is my sworn enemy!!! I'll get to the front today and check the mounts. Here is another clue... As i was jacking up the car on the right rear it would make that noise every time I raised it. It wouldn't really make it when i raised the back left. So I'm assuming it will be on the passenger side.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
If you can make the noise with a jack, you and a buddy should be able to find where its coming from....

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
sounds like a front busing on either the control arms or the subframe. if thats the case, id replace all of them at once if you can afford it, as im sure the others arnt far behind from doing it.

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
Thanks guys for the input. I will be putting in new bushings. But im dead broke i just bought 89 tails fog lights and the three piece wing this week alone. I couldn't let them get away so now i gotta wait till next paycheck.

berto22

I'm not a lurker i swear
Apr 21, 2009
chicago
so i bought front control arm energy suspension bushings and i took 'em to a neighborhood mechanic because i thought it would be easier and less time consuming if i did the job with an impact gun but he just greased up the passenger side ball joint and that seemed to do the job.. no more noise...hmm...i think im gonna go ahead and put them in anyways.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
never heard a balljoint make that kind of noise before, they normally make the "clunk" noise. id also go over the car with a grease gun and lube every grease port you can find.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
bioskyline;1842203 said:
never heard a balljoint make that kind of noise before, they normally make the "clunk" noise. id also go over the car with a grease gun and lube every grease port you can find.

sounds like something i should do... my car is making the same sound but not as bad.. turning or pushing down or lifting driver front quarter. its embarrassing. my power steering has been leaking forever on the driver side so my guess was bushings have gotten worn down with the excessive fluid that has leaked down there and been worn into the bushings... still not sure. i havent replaced the bushings. so any others have any experience with this sound?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I know I know
every one all ways post vid's hear this or that but truly alot of shit move down there get up and
jack it up and then start prying on stuff tell ya see some thing that's not suppost to move or move a in certon way

dooms

shadegarage mechanic
Sep 23, 2010
Virginia
i've had the same squeak....check your rack n pinion grommet halfway across the rack closest to the passenger side of the car, my grommet was in pieces and was what was causing my squeak that sounds just like that with the same steering wheel movement, unfortunately didnt realize it was a simple fix like that after replacing my front and rear struts and mounts... -_-

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
Wish I would have come across this post sooner... Just now listened to the noise, then read the posts... You need to change that ball joint. Don't let it go just because a tech put grease on it. That is a tell-tale sign of a [ball] joint being severely worn out. If lower ball joint, less expensive; upper ball joint, more expensive as that is only serviceable as an upper control arm assembly.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
kanji1jz;1885754 said:
Wish I would have come across this post sooner... Just now listened to the noise, then read the posts... You need to change that ball joint. Don't let it go just because a tech put grease on it. That is a tell-tale sign of a [ball] joint being severely worn out. If lower ball joint, less expensive; upper ball joint, more expensive as that is only serviceable as an upper control arm assembly.

Completely agree with this ^^^^^
Tie rod ends can also make this noise. I have personally seen it a few times before. They can also make this noise and not even be loose yet.