Can piggyback be unplugged?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Here's the deal. I am installing my mapecu1 this weekend to make sure everything works. Possibly installing the 550cc 7m map then driving it to the tuner only, next saturday. Is this safe to do? Should I stay out of boost?

Is it possible to unplug my mapecu after I install it and verify that everything works properly? Will it go back to stock ecu conditions assuming nothing is removed and it's all stock?

leebizz

Feb 2, 2011
connecticut
i have the same question... i wired in my map ecu, and it powered up when turned in turned on... then i tryed to un plug the map ecu with the harness still attached to the ecu and it didnt wwant to run at all ... i removed all wires from the ecu and it runs no problem... is this normal?

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Yes this is normal, you need the map ecu to run since it is designed to trick the ecu that there is no MAF in place. Depending on your set up, the file may run smooth enough , I know mine does not as I have a slight hesitation still that I need to work out using the tps enrichment tool.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Piggybacks work with the stock ECU. Any wires that are cut would have to be reconnected. In the case of piggybacks that go to a MAP based system, you'll have to put the AFM back on as the piggyback translates the MAP signal to one the ECU can use simulating the AFM signal.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Very good info here. Thanks everyone

I wired up the harness for my mapecu but my car had an issue with it's temp gauge while at the tuner. So for now just the map ecu harness is installed into the stock ecu harness. Car runs fine since my mapecu is unplugged and my stock afm is still being used.