Can I get your opinion on my situation?

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
So Im in a dilema. My stepfather helped me pick out my car back in september of 09. I drove the car and naturally the bhg occurred. Turns out all the bs about the engine being rebuilt was false. So he felt bad and decided to help me out. He was telling me to save my money and he would help with money too. Im in college so green isnt the easiest to come by. Well we havent even started the rebuild yet and he went and spent 2 grand on a standalone ecu for his car. He got the sensation to buy the ecu right after telling me he would help me with the money and rebuild. I would like to have your opinion on what I should do. Ask him about it, ignore it, or say fuck him and do the shit on my own over the next year or so?

Opinions please.

I feel if I say something Im wrong, because hes helping, but if I let it go he may not have the money to help me out and Ill be fucked.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
honestly, just cause he bout the ecu, and spent some greenage, doesnt mean he has no money left, or isnt going to help now.

aproch him with, "hey, ive got some prices and quotes on fixing my car"

or maybe, "hey, i was gonna start looking at fixing the engine now, anything you want me too look for...." ect ect

this will give you the "hint" of what his intentions are without looking like an ass. :)

hope this helps. if ya need parts, let me know, i may have them. to get you going again, you can have them. no worries.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Caveat emptor......... He really doesn't owe you anything, so I'd be careful how you approach him with it. He helped you with your choice, but you bought it.

BS's suggestion seems pretty good to me............good luck.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
suprahero;1484776 said:
Caveat emptor......... He really doesn't owe you anything, so I'd be careful how you approach him with it. He helped you with your choice, but you bought it.

BS's suggestion seems pretty good to me............good luck.

Exactly why I dont want to upset him or anything. Ill see about talking to him tomorrow. And let you all know what happened.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
I don't get it. What does his OWN expenditure on his own project have to do with YOU or YOUR project? What is there to bring up?

If anything, ENGAGE him on HIS project by showing an interest, and focus your energy and efforts on YOURS REGARDLESS of what he does financially for you. If YOU get into your project and show interest in it and just share what's going on with you... ESPECIALLY while also showing an interest in HIS project, such as "COOL! You got a STANDALONE!" You might be surprised by the exchange that might develop on your projects REGARDLESS of whether he helps you out with money.

In my opinion, you are just feeling "slighted" or "potentially slighted" as a projected fear, and it is not founded based on the first post you made. On the contrary, you are showing your lack of maturity by NOT seeing the bigger picture here, and placing more emphasis on the interest that you both appear to share in common... working on cars, regardless of who's it is and how it is funded.

I suggest you step back and re-evaluate your interest in this car and your relationship in general. If it is predicated on a conditional assumption that he "owes" you something, regardless of what he said, I suspect you are headed for a rough car project future. If you can separate the two, focus on your car, nurture the relationship WITHOUT predicating it on his involvement or support of your project... anything that occurs that is MUTUALLY engaged either in monies or time and effort on EITHER project is a WIN.

Go forth and WIN.

G/L.

-crisp