Cam sprocket bolt hole stripped

Hey, I am doing my head gasket replacement and I got to the point where I just finish retiming my cam gears. Then i started to torque the cam sprocket bolt down. I asked a friend and he said that last time he did it, he torque it up to 35lb and thats what i did. Next thing I know, my bolt kept spinnning and I was wondering why it didn't stopped. I took the bolt out and I noticed that the bolt stripped the hole in the head. Then I just got mad at what just happend.(Who wouldn't?) I'm not mad at the friend, I'm mad at myself for not doublechecking the torque specs. Now I'm wondering what I should do next? I'm not sure what is the next process I have to do so I'm asking for advice from my fellow Supra owners.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I have a craftsman wrench, and found that i can set it to XX ft-lbs, but it'll not click till its way beyond the desired torque setting.
Torque wrenches do go out of calibration. Luckily, i figured it out before stripping anything vital, and replaced it.

worm611

HMNGSupraMKIII;1950568 said:
Oo sorry, I meant the bolt for the camshaft bearings caps. Two of those holes are strippped.

Thats not good news. You might be able to get the head helicoiled, but I am assuming you already changed out your head gasket? Torque spec on the bearing caps are 14 ft/lb by the way.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Lol yeah.
"Cam sprocket hole" title is a wee bit misleading.
Get it helicoiled and you should have no issues.