Cam seals refuse to seal.

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
vancouver, wa, usa, earth
Of course, it's a 7MGE that's testing my sanity here with a terrible oil leak.

Tried o'rielly set, no-go. Tried OEM, then OEM with FIPG and it was even worse. Just picked up 4AGE cam seals and its dripping now instead of a waterfall.

What's the secret to getting these cam seals to work?

Thanks in advance! This is the last try.

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
Could having too tight of a timing belt cause the cam ends to bend permanently? I usually give a bit extra tightness on the bearing before tightening just to be on the safe side. Never had a cam bend tho, even my stock 1j cams and my 2j cams are fine and they've been sitting over 2 years.

So that sealer is better than the $8 tube of black RTV thats resistant to oil, coolant, water, etc?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Rtv on a moving part is never going to work.

IF there is a groove then it will prolly never seal unless ground down and a bigger seal is used or the seal is pushed back.

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
I've tried recommended cam seals an they were skinnier than the ones that came off, then I used 4age and they were bigger, but were slightly better.

I think the off-set washer is throwing me off thinking the cams are bent, but then still back to the 'why does it leak with new parts' problem.

I'll get that other sealant and try that and possibly different set of cams. Is 7mGTE a downgrade for GE?

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
It's too hard to tell since the cams have to be spinning to leak, but it appears from the inside where the cam seal contacts the cam itself.

Exhaust is 3x worse than intake.

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
They came pre-greased, but there's so much oil splattered around everything, they just slid right on and the spring inside is in place every time I put them on. Make sure of that!

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
If I remember correctly there is a oil drain near the bottom of the seal (in the head). They sometimes get plugged, and make a good seal leak like hell. Especially if FIPG was used.

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but I think the 7m is setup that way.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
mkiiichip;1769282 said:
If I remember correctly there is a oil drain near the bottom of the seal (in the head). They sometimes get plugged, and make a good seal leak like hell. Especially if FIPG was used.

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but I think the 7m is setup that way.

I don't remember seeing a hole. Then again, new seals are put on a head that has been rebuilt, there wouldn't be any obstructions, especially any type of FIPG as it doesn't go there. If there isn't a drain, then the cam is damage or he is putting it in wrong.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dry it off. Lube the outside with some wd and push it on. Should be tight to go on. Make sure there isn't a groove on the cam either.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
For what its worth, i finally found a picture of the drain holes i was talking about. Although this is a 2jz i still think the 7m has the same thing.
See the hole just behind where the seal goes, that need to be clear to evacuate oil from the area of the seal.

fotosgaby086.jpg

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Did you use any type of sealant on the front cam caps on both sides? Forgot to do that once and it leaked down in this area. Thought it was the cam seal until I pulled it apart and noticed it missing.