Cam Journal clearance, too far out of spec?

jbudi101

Sep 22, 2011
KS
Hi all, I sent my head off to a shop and they say my cams probably need to be replaced. He says my oil clearances are between 0.005-0.007 in. Is this too far out of spec? Would this cause oil pressure to drop too much? Based on my search it seems like this is a common issue. I imagine most used cams will have this scoring and wear. Is my only option to go aftermarket? If anyone could chime in or share their experience that would be great. Thanks!

TSRM says:
Standard oil clearance:
No. 1 journal: 0.0014-0.0028 in.
No. 2 - No. 7 journals: 0.0010 - 0.0037 in
Maximum oil clearance: 0.0051 in

Last edited:

RBD 305

Aug 19, 2010
Florida
My cam journals clearances were way out of spec, which caused my low oil pressure problem and caused rod bearing failure. Hope this help alot of people overlook rebuilding a head and making sure the clearances are correct.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Rod bearing failure can be also caused, most with the 7M are, low oil level. All it takes is a couple of auto-X's without a quart over the full mark and....

Rod bearing starting to go, alot of times is a marked decrease in oil pressure, when it goes a big decrease in pressure and most times knocking followed with clacking if it is run very long that way.