Calling All fishing Guru's

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Cape Coral,FL and Jamaica
Not sure if there is a thread for fishing but i need some help. I love fishing and it is time to stop borrowing rods, and get my own. My friends use Penn which i heard is good, but else is there that is good?

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Biggest thing to find out is what are you fishing for? what size of fish? what type of water? are you trolling, fly fishing, casting, bobber fishing?

Personally I like expensive rods but I dont think you need one. If your just starting then I would pick something cheap with a good reel. As linked above the ABU garcia's made their reputation on making great reels for levelwinds and I personally own 4 reels that cost over 150$ each including one that was $350 but has come down a little since I bought it
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...d=8444120418&gclid=CICA-8PR07YCFSFxQgod300ABA
I fish for big game but those reels handle anything from 1lb to 100lbs without breaking a sweat. Easy to fix if you ever have issues and they absolutely love braided line like this
http://www.boaterbarn.com/tufline_plus_300yd_80lb_grn_72118_prd1.htm

Yes... you saw 80lb that is the size of 20lb. I have actually pulled a steel truck bumper (on a ford mind you) back from the tire using this wrapped around a tree. Its that tuff. You splice it with a flouracarbon that suites your fishing target (20lb fish means 10-20lb flouracarbon line) and replace that section as you see fit.

If you want something really nice, pick up a St croix rod with an Abugarcia reel. Price will run you around 200-300 bucks with line but it will last till you drive over it with a vehicle... and even then the reel will hold up lol. ask me how i know.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish..._l=SBC;cat104793480;cat104764680;cat104823180

Just so you know I am not blowing smoke... here are a couple pictures of me.

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Cape Coral,FL and Jamaica
ttsupra2503;1932544 said:
Biggest thing to find out is what are you fishing for? what size of fish? what type of water? are you trolling, fly fishing, casting, bobber fishing?

Personally I like expensive rods but I dont think you need one. If your just starting then I would pick something cheap with a good reel. As linked above the ABU garcia's made their reputation on making great reels for levelwinds and I personally own 4 reels that cost over 150$ each including one that was $350 but has come down a little since I bought it
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...d=8444120418&gclid=CICA-8PR07YCFSFxQgod300ABA
I fish for big game but those reels handle anything from 1lb to 100lbs without breaking a sweat. Easy to fix if you ever have issues and they absolutely love braided line like this
http://www.boaterbarn.com/tufline_plus_300yd_80lb_grn_72118_prd1.htm

Yes... you saw 80lb that is the size of 20lb. I have actually pulled a steel truck bumper (on a ford mind you) back from the tire using this wrapped around a tree. Its that tuff. You splice it with a flouracarbon that suites your fishing target (20lb fish means 10-20lb flouracarbon line) and replace that section as you see fit.

If you want something really nice, pick up a St croix rod with an Abugarcia reel. Price will run you around 200-300 bucks with line but it will last till you drive over it with a vehicle... and even then the reel will hold up lol. ask me how i know.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish..._l=SBC;cat104793480;cat104764680;cat104823180

Just so you know I am not blowing smoke... here are a couple pictures of me.

Het thanks for the extra tips. I am looking to buy a rod and reel that can catch 100lbs if that. I will be saltwater fishing and freshwater fishing, i just want to know if i catch something big my rod or rel are not going to break. I friend of mine told me get a ugly stick and a penn reel like this http://www.basspro.com/Penn-Spinfisher-V-Spinning-Reels/product/1206150826161/ and it will last for ever.

I just wanted some options. I will look into a St croix rod with an Abugarcia reel like you said

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I'm doing good to catch 100lbs total for a weekend... lol

If I ever hook on to a bass that breaks my rod and reel... I'll be stoked.

My biggest has been like 5.5 lbs, so I don't need anything too fancy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I started off with a walmart Shakespere rod, I still use it till today. It cost me like $50 and now i got a ton of other rods and equipment. Penn is a good rod, but i wouldn't spent over $100 on a rod that u can do the same with a shakespere. Start small and work your way bigger. ohh and def get a spinning rod, baitcaster can be a little tricky.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
I would suggest a long uglystick somewhere hopefully around 7ft. Medium-Heavy action. They're pretty cheap but i believe they still run a lifetime warranty on them. Baitcaster's are very nice reels, but they are not for everyone. So if you have tried one and like it then go ahead. But I can't handle baitcasters at all, I would go with some sort of baitrunner reel like a Shimano. I suggest a good reel even if you are just starting out. But an okuma baitrunner is around 50 bucks if you're strapped on cash. But cheaper reels tend to break sooner and faster, especially if you don't take care of your reels, Like washing and cleaning them after you go fishing in salt water. Saltwater will eat your reels up quick, rust does not play any games.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
As a point to be made, the Abu Garcia reels are stainless steel and plastic lol. No rust on those. My rod is an 11' Fenwick Canadian Methods rod that I paid just over $100 for. I have caught well over 100 20+lb fish including many many days of 30+lb Tyee Salmon on that rod and it still looks like brand new.

Cheap stuff rusts and breaks, good stuff costs money. Look at our cars lol Prime example in both Categories.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I didnt know there was a rod/reel combo that can cover anything from 1-100lbs... Catching a 2lb bass on a rod setup for a 100lb tarpon is like using a rocket laucher to go rabbit hunting. I have 5 different rod/reel setups that cover just freshwater and light-medium inshore saltwater fishing

All my stuff is Penn, Abu Garcia and Shimano and have all lasted over 10 years

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I have a rod that would allow a fight on all those levels... in fact I remember landing a 9 foot sturgeon. The reel is the part I talked about before which handles 1-100lbs. Very versatile setups are good for beginners or people who want a do all setup. If you really want a fun setup get a fly rod and see what comes about lol I own 10 different fly rods from a 4-5 weight to a 9 weight for chinook.

I guess everyone has their opinions but make sure to get a rod with good action. I found uglysticks are built like tanks and dont play the fish very well. You loose more fish to popping hooks. Around here single barbless hooks are a requirement so you need something that will take up the slack and allow the fish to move. You will see for yourself if you catch enough fish with it.

ps. i haven't set foot in a boat for 5 years. Everything I do is in Waders or from shore.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
Any tips on where to get a good beginner flyfishing rod and reel? I've always wanted to get into fly fishing, but don't know where to start.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You know, I used to fish, then I just started getting sunburnt. Not sure where I lost my touch haha. :p

Seriously though, the money you guys are talking about, I would hope this stuff either floats, or you're smart enough to get a wrist strap to keep things from becoming a lost investment. Well, except maybe you saltwater guys, I can imagine if something were able to yank the reel from your hands, it would be big enough to pull you under if your equipment was attached to your arm...