calipers

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Havent been on here in years, and I been out of the game in years.

in a nut shell without too many details. my supra sat and started rusting away.. I am a cross roads on whether or not to try and sink more money into it to get it road worthy.... however, I did get new rotors and new calipers on it.

Im not sure if new calipers are scarce or not from such auto stores or even rock auto etc.... I would hate to just take the calipers to the scrap yard along with the old rotors being someone, or place could take them for rebuilding them.... I dont know... just that our beloved MKIII is in rare dinosaur extinction from us enthusiasts...

I bought the new calipers off of rock auto a few yrs ago,, so I highly doubt Id get a core return.... but what do i know ...

any input would be great, cause Id hate to just scrap the calipers....

WILL

Bru

Feb 28, 2013
Tampa Bay Area
If no one on the form wants them, take them to any auto parts store. They will find a parts rebuilder and put them back into the pipeline. That might be where yours came from, if they are rebuilt. Hopefully your calipers came with the copper washers you'll need in front. You shouldn't reuse them because they become harder every time you squeeze them. I replaced a front caliper with a rebuilt one where the supplied banjo bolt was too long and I reused my old one. I also had to crank down harder than the torque spec to seal it because the surface was shot blasted textured when it was rebuilt, whereas the original was cut smooth at the factory. I use a one-person bleeder that clips onto the bleeding nipple. It has a ball check in the clear plastic hose To observe the dirty fluid coming out along with the bubbles. Be careful not to run dry at the master cylinder and start with the longest hose first which would be passenger rear, then driver-side rear, then passenger side front, and finally the driver-side front. RockAuto has brake master cylinders made by ADVICS, the OEM company that made them for Toyota with all the OEM markings on them. They come in 2 flavors; for ABS (BMT-360) $96, and for non-ABS (BMT-106) $59. Here's a discount code good until the end of June 2023: 233123604207025961 Copy and Paste at checkout. You can get the paper gasket at the Toyota dealer 47275-24010. I have had good results with Valvoline synthetic DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid. Here is a link to the online Supra manual. Click here to go there. If you're going to reuse your master cylinder, a trick is to draw out the dirty fluid is using a syringe with a thin hose or a baster, But be careful not to drip the The fluid onto the paint. I put a plastic bag and a towel under the master cylinder when working there. Run some fluid through the lines before putting on your nice new calipers. Visit the other Supra enthusiast website: Click here to go there.

Last edited: