Calculating Dwell time

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Ok another electronics post by yours truly - Figgie

Who is the audience?: Specifically ANYONE that is running any type of standalone and running a coil in inductance mode and the dwell time is UNKNOWN. This will not cover how to convert the time into angular degree.

and you guys thought that math was only usefull in school.

Well got some bad news for you guys. You are about to need it for this ;)

I went through this excersice once before helping some guys with a BMW out :)

So grab a comfy chair, your favorite drinks and be prepared for a brain overload ;)

remember we have to make assumptions

for this example we are going to use 14 vdc as that is what the alternator output when it is turning.

Using some Bosch coils for this example (I got these numbers directly from Bosch Motorsports Australia).

Bosch coil 0 221 504 410

Peak primary current 7.5A
Primary Inductance 3.7mH
Primary resistance 0.5ohm
Secondary Inductance 38H
Seconradary Resistance 13.3 K
Energy 70mJ
Clamping voltage 350
Voltage gradiant 1.1kV/micro sec
We test the coil at 100Hz

First the simplictic but rough version

First assume the current has already reached the anticipated 7.5 amps, we need to work out how much voltage is actually available across the inductive part of the primary winding. That available voltage is what actually is responsible for creating the ramp up of current.

Let's assume the battery voltage is 14.0 volts (from the alternator).
Let's also assume the voltage drop across the ignition module is 1.5 volts with 7.5 amps flowing through it.

We can work out the voltage drop across the resistive part of the primary winding from Ohms law. E=IxR E= 7.5A x 0.5 Ohms = 3.75volts.

So we start out with 14.0V but lose 3.75v and 1.5v. That leaves 8.75 volts to ramp up the current.

Dwell time = max current x primary inductance / available voltage

Dwell = 7.5 x 3.7 (mH) divided by 8.75 volts

Dwell = 27.75 / 8.75

Dwell = 3.17 (mS)

To do this more accurately the exact battery voltage will need to be known, the voltage drop across the ignition module will need to be known, plus any additional voltage drops in the wiring. All of these may change slightly with temperature. But 3.0 to 3.5mS will probably get you in the ballpark for that particular coil.

the hard version , aka more precision.

Assume fixed 1.5v drop across igniter, then Imax=(14v-1.5)/0.5=25A

t=(3.7mh/0.5)(log(1/(1-(7.5amps/25))))=2.64msec

this last one uses this equation

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_16/4.html

questions, comments, concerns, bitches, moans and complaints.

You know where to reach me :)

edit #1: forgot to put the Bosch coil 0 221 504 410

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i have a aem ems and for my 90T and it has a missfire at 2800 and 3800 rpm. changing the dwell time can sometimes remove the miss for certain ignitors or just move it around some.

what information variables do we need to use this formula to help calculate the dwell time. would you know what input the aem would be changed?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Halsupramk3 said:
i have a aem ems and for my 90T and it has a missfire at 2800 and 3800 rpm. changing the dwell time can sometimes remove the miss for certain ignitors or just move it around some.

what information variables do we need to use this formula to help calculate the dwell time. would you know what input the aem would be changed?

the info needed is what i posted for the bosch coils. withot that it is a best guess but i know the 7m coils have a 2.8ms dwell time

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bumping this and to address halsupramk3 post

Hal

the dwell time is static. At 1000 rpm it should be 2.8ms. At 8000 rpm it should be 2.8ms. Now keep in mind that the 7m-gte coils packs are waste spark so the dwell time has to happen twice per engine CYCLE (once per RPM). This will significantly impact the max rpm in which the coils can still fully charge.

THE ONLY time that the dwell time is increased is during CRANKING. The reason is that there is less voltage availalbe to the coils so you must increase the dwell time to charge the coils completely. Now be very careful. If the coils is rated at 2.8ms dwell time and you input 6ms. You WILL fry the coil in short order.

Now I have not mucked with the AEM much but it should have a time to start charging (possibly in degrees) the coils prior to the ignition even taking place. This is a guess though as I have not dealt with AEM.