Brake Lights VS Tail Lights

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Ive been doing some research about this and have come up with a few answers. I figured I would ask on this forum and see what is told.
I'm making my rear-of-car harness from scratch and am trying to figure out how to wire the brake lights and tail lights. How do you keep the tail lights dimmer than the brake lights? Is it the fact that the tail lights provide 12v and illuminate one filament and when the brake peddle is depressed, another 12v illuminates the other filament? Or do I need to integrate a diode inline with the tail light wire.
I will be running the tail lights and head lights on the same switch/circuit. the brake lights are on their own separate 12v circuit and peddle switch. The lights are factory pre 89 tails with hand made harness and sockets.
At this point I have the brake lights, head lights, signals and four ways working, just need to integrate some tail(running Lights). Thanks for the help

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Thats what Ive always thought, Because of the two filaments in the bulb. Some other forums dont have the best of answers. Even Electro forums. I love working on cars till the ADD OCD kicks in and i have to convince myself of things I should and do know. :aigo::1zhelp:

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Yes I know, I keep up with every bit of your builds, and the way your threads go, your life too. Not to be that creepy guy.

So can I just tap a line into the brake light circuit from the head light switch or would I have to run a dedicated wire to the housing and the bulb itself?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Txsupra;1427258 said:
Yes I know, I keep up with every bit of your builds, and the way your threads go, your life too. Not to be that creepy guy.

So can I just tap a line into the brake light circuit from the head light switch or would I have to run a dedicated wire to the housing and the bulb itself?

Where have the original circuits gone?

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Yes I have a dedicated 12v to the brake lights. It works every time the pedal is pushed. I want to know if i can share the 12v with the head lights for the tail lights too so when the head lights are on the tail lights are on as well. Then when I press the brake pedal the tail lights will get brighter as brake lights.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'd put the headlights as their own circuit as they pull more power (not to mention when you flash your high beams you don't want the rest of the lights to turn on)

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
I put together a dedicated circuit for the running lights. I used LEDs as to keep amp draw to a minimum. Thanks for the input and help. :icon_razz