Boost drop off issues

Nougie

Nov 5, 2012
CA
Set up- BPU 7mgte
Issues- Boost will not hold or exceed 5psi
Possible Culprits- Wastegate/boost leak, ?

The Cool Story- Installed the new DM IC Kit.
-day one held boost just fine(10psi with Hallman MBC)
-day two, i ate a driveway(my car is pretty low) and broke the lower ic pipe t-bolt clamp. It still clamped the coupler with just enough force to still drive the car fine out of boost.
-day three comes and im in for the clamp replacemet! Done, i turn boost all the way off to wastegate spring pressure only, test drive comes and i see ZERO boost at WOT? hmmm. Go time again!, come to find, coupler to turbo clamp was loose, Done!, test drive #2, i get 3psi at WOT?! Go time again but this time throwing some shims on the wastegate for testing purposes and i see 5psi dropping off ~3psi.

A boost controller technically, bypasses the wastegates spring pressure correct? so meaning since i have a MBC, i can just set my boost levels where i desire without any drop off issues?

And here i stand making this thread. Im thinking its the wastgate spring/stuck open or a boost leak that im too mentally incapable to find? Any ideas or thoughts here? thanks in advance!

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Are you using the stock or aftermarket boost gauge?
This could be an issue with the wastegate but I would sooner be looking at the intercooler piping because of your little incident with the driveway. Try pressure testing it and see if you can hear any leaks.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Ate a driveway, do a boost leak test and make sure you didn't bump anything else off. Sounds like a boost leak cause stock system should get 6.7 psi.

If you've got full exhaust it'll go to 9-11 psi.

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
hmm. Sounds like what mine did when the turbo started leaking at the manifold. Everytime ive had a boost leak the car went rich and smoked. Sometimes hit fuel cut if it was a bad enough leak.