Blue smoke in between shifts

87MK3Turbo7m

Boost-My Anti-Drug
Mar 7, 2007
New York
hi i have a 1987 supra 68,000 miles and when i start giving it some gas and spool up the turbo when i shift a little cloud of smoke comes out like a grayish blue but not while im driving.. also when im reving it up only enough: were the turbo spools when its reving down it thows out a little smoke i just wanna see if it is the turbo and not the rings.. :1zhelp::1zhelp:

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
If you often have to add oil between changes and don't have an oil leak then it very well could be bum rings. If you don't have to give it oil too much but still have visible oil smoke during normal operating temps then I would strongly suspect the oil seal on your turbine (hot side of the turbo). It usually fails with excessive shaft play and/or old age.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
MDCmotorsports;918698 said:
^Good man. Problem is, you just can't replace the seal. The whole turbo has to be rebuilt.

Very true. Replacing just the seal would be like placing a 'band aid' on a 3rd degree welding burn to the forearm. If you love your turbo, send it to MDC. I mean it! ;)

now, back to our regularly scheduled troubleshooting session...

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
Form what sounds like it is your turbo, this is what you do. Turn your car on for exactly 1 minute, has to be cooled then started for 1 minute, get the Rpm's to about 2500, then turn off the car take the turbo off you should see oil on the hot side, I had a '90 Supra turbo with 155,000 and my ct-26 started going out, I thought it was my engine, saved a lot of time figuring out ti was the turbo. Good luck man!

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
same thing was happening to me. I replaced the turbo and and all was well. But i'm not saying your problem is the turbo.... I checked shaft play first and it was horrendous. +2 check shaft play