Block and exhaust manifold planing

shadowman1977

Jun 4, 2015
Kingston N.Y. 12401
So today I'm going to be assembling materials to get a 4 thousandths central warpage out of the block deck and a few spots on a J.Y. manifold are 14 thousandths but it looks like old gasket material there.
I purchased-
3M's 77 adhesive
3M sandpaper (80-100-120 grit)
A straightedge
6 strong flat magnets, (to place in the cylinders)
Assorted vacuum caps, (to plug the passageways)
Wheel bearing grease, (for around the lip of the pistons)
One 1/2" thick steel slab a bit longer and wider than the block 12" by 28" for evenly distributed pressure and to help with sanding approx.-60lbs, (as flat as possible)
One 1/2" thick hardwood board of the same size
Some gorilla wood glue and a 2 ton car to sandwich them together under the sub-frame with a spare wheel
One 3' by 3' slab of machined granite 4" thick (or a thick laminated VERY flat surface)

I plan to first glue the sandpaper to the stone for planing the wood that I glued to the steel perfectly flat because after gluing it was not true.
Than glue sandpaper onto the planed wood surface to plane the block and more wood glued to the steel side to make handles.
Anyone ever try this or have any suggestions I would appreciate feedback.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Is the engine out of the vehicle? or already torn down? why not just take it to a machine shop and have it done right. If its still assembled it might be a little more work, but its no more work than trying to sand it with what you are thinking, and if you are thinking of using a MHG don't even try.

Disassemble it, take it to a machine shop, and have it done correctly. the machining of the two surfaces, and cleanup will cost about the same as your materials, and will take less time and energy as trying to manually sand the shit down.

shadowman1977

Jun 4, 2015
Kingston N.Y. 12401
So the deal is i bought the car for 2500 from my boss. It was sitting around for a year and a half due to a bhg. When he got the car he tore it down and never finished it. Wanted to clear the lot so i took it :) The problem was that toyota rebuilt the engine a few thousand miles prior to his acquisition and they factory torqued the head. So i didnt want to remove the block if not necessary.
Yes, MLS gasket. Everything else around the block is being tested/repaired or upgraded.
Its a euro import built in germany, and shipped here with its prior owner.

shadowman1977

Jun 4, 2015
Kingston N.Y. 12401
Ive decided to pull it. Cost wise it's way worth it and for my peace of mind. I will do a full rebuild. The basic kit is under 200. The pistons and walls look good. I found a machine shop to prep the block for under 500.
Guess I wont be driving her this year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 4

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
emericaskater285;2051194 said:
Disassemble it, take it to a machine shop, and have it done correctly. the machining of the two surfaces, and cleanup will cost about the same as your materials, and will take less time and energy as trying to manually sand the shit down.

And unless he is going low bid like so many MA70 owners, they will do it right.