Bilstein install write up!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
OK, guys I have installed my rear Bilstein's, (fronts will be soon) with my stock shocks and I noticed that it actually raised my car quite a bit. I had blown shocks so this was to be expected. I have the c ring or clip on the middle ring, and there is still a 2" wheel gap. So if you are expecting a big drop from these, you will not get it, you will need lowering springs.

I called Bilstein and they said that it is a 10mm difference between the rings on the shock.

The fronts do not rub at all with the wheels and tires that I have.

Update!!

You can not run lower the car to the third perch setting in the rears!! This is because it will hit the tire if you have fat tires on the car. I have 17x10 5Zigen wheels with 275/40's and they hit if I put them on the lowest perch setting.

I just installed my fronts with the perch on the lowest setting with my stock springs and it looks good and drives great! So I have the rear shocks on the middle perch which is a small drop in the back and lowest setting in the front.

Wheels/Tires front: 5 Zigen FNOR1-C 17x8+35 245/45/17 tires,
Wheels/Tires Back: 5 Zigen FNOR1-C 17x10+35 275/40/17 Tires,
Wheels/Tires Back: Weld Prostars 15x8 5.5 BS MT 275/50/15 DR's

Here are some pics:
p1219191_1.jpg

p1219191_2.jpg

p1219191_3.jpg

p1219191_4.jpg

Last edited:

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
If you can get a spring compressor in there and have enough room to change the perch location, there's nothing wrong with that.

But the shocks shouldn't have raised your car that much. If you're using the same springs and the shocks are the same size, the car should sit the same. The shock does contribute a little due to the gas pressure inside, but that is a very small number.

And since Bilstein are OE fitment, they're the same size although they do have the adjustable perch. That will affect the height, but not that much. And just make sure to keep the bumpstops especially if you're lowering the perch. The stock shocks, especially the front, use pretty much all of the shock travel, so lowering the perch will take up more of the available shock travel and the shock could bottom out more. I don't think it's that much of an issue in the back, but the front is.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
The shocks that I had were totally blown, you could move them with your hand with no effort, and that is why it raised my car a little bit.

I'll be doing the fronts on sat or monday whenever they come in. I'll have some good bump stops on them. When I talked to Bilstein they said as long as I'm using stock shocks and on the lowest perch it should be fine, It won't bottom out near as much because they are not lowering springs.

I like to drag race so this is perfect for me for now.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I just installed my fronts with the perch on the lowest setting with my stock springs and it looks good and drives great! So I have the rear shocks on the middle perch which is a small drop in the back and lowest setting in the front.

This is perfect for my car, I can still run a fat tire in the back and the front still looks good but not too low. I'll post up some pics tomorrow as it's night time now.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Here is what the car looks like, note the jack stand is there because I didn't want the car rolling back on me when putting on the DR's.

Before Bilsteins:

p1222661_1.jpg

After Bilsteins:

p1222661_2.jpg

Last edited: