Best head unit under $150?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've been out of touch with car audio for years now, so I'm looking for some advice from those who still have a foot in it.

A buddy of mine is looking to replace his stock head unit with something modern. Budget of $150, ebay / online is fair game.

What would you suggest, and why?

CordiaDOHC

Jan 14, 2009
St.louis
for that price you should be able to find an alpine 7997 7998 which should have the better sound processors than most of the current 100-400 dollar headunits. But the units are 02-04 I think. Its what I have.

I do not recommend pioneer if your anything near an audiophile.
Older Nakamichi's work well also. As well as older Eclipse headunits (5000 and 8000 series just be sure its before the redesign though they are supposed to be improving them from the blunder they made on them...)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
johnathan1;1265398 said:
I bought a Pioneer unit for about $130...it's decent. :) Has iPod control, aux input, Bluetooth, plays MP3 cds, and has a lot of different audio controls...even a HPF.

I bought a $99 Sony with all of these features, and I have never had a CD in my car. My Ipod Touch has every CD I own plus on it, and I can take them out of the car simply by pulling the cord out of it, and put them in my pocket. It sounds good, but I guess if you are an audiophile you could do better. Forgot to mention I have decent aftermarket 4" speakers and no amp. In my 40's so I don't need to rattle neighborhood windows.

89TBen

Sep 11, 2006
Mizzou
i personally love clarion. andy of their pro audio line. i had a dxz715 and loved it. there's a dxz725 on ebay right now for like $20. i currently have a clarion vrx745vd which hasa 7 inch touch screen and dvd player. i got it for less than 150.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Hmm... I should point out that I'm *not* an Alpine fan. I an currently running their 7969, bought it new for entirely too much money, and it's been a lemon since day one.

As for sound quality, my buddy is another 40+ year old guy who mostly listens to talk radio and MP3s, so that's really not a concern. :)

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
GrimJack;1266280 said:
Hmm... I should point out that I'm *not* an Alpine fan. I an currently running their 7969, bought it new for entirely too much money, and it's been a lemon since day one.

As for sound quality, my buddy is another 40+ year old guy who mostly listens to talk radio and MP3s, so that's really not a concern. :)

Trust me, the recent Alpine's with iPod control are really great bang/buck units!

I bought TWO of this unit... and only paid $150ish for them... (I have pretty good source... but you should find for that range...)

p1266287_1.jpg

p1266287_2.jpg

^^^ Sounds FANTASTIC in my couple-thousand watt system in the Solara! Also put the other in my Toy 4x4... and like it equally well.

G/L on your choice!

PS: I was a DIE-HARD Kenwood fan... but prefer the recent Alpine now.

-crisp

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Alpine if you like sound quality and a simple look. I've had 4 different brand decks (Sony, Pioneer, Clarion, Kenwood) and none come close to the simple look and sound quality the alpine provides.

My current deck had to be sent in for service 3 times in the first year. That was 7 years ago and I have yet to have another problem.

I love it and will try to buy another Alpine when it fails...