Best air filter?

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
What is a good (or best) air filter I can buy?

After reading the oil analysis sticky I wanna ditch my knn, jdub suggested a few air filters, is any one of them the best? Should I go back to a stock setup? If I remember correctly the dry aem was suggested, should I go with that or is there anything better? I should have done my reaserch before throwing away $140 for the knn, but I thought they were quality, thanks.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
That Revspeed article was very biased in my opinion and swung towards Apex'i. Not saying it doesn't filter well because it does, very well actually. I currently run a Airinx on my car, previously had a HKS with a dry element.

It might be worth noting that all of the high powered cars that are built by well known Japanese tuners sport HKS, Blitz, GReddy, K&N. Blitz and HKS being the most popular there. Not to say you don't see a Apex'i intake here and there but I've never seen one on a big single powered car. Maybe the airflow is more important than filtration for making power? I will admit the Blitz sounds wicked at wot.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The biggest reasons HKS, Blitz, K&N and Greddy are so popular with the Japanese tuners is 1) Three of the four are Japanese companies and 2) they sponsor the tuners cars. None of these filters do very good job of filtration - the majority of the HKS filters are simply foam (dry or oiled) - if the foam deteriorates (easy to do under the hood - heat is the issue) guess where it goes. Plus, over oiling any of the above is a great way to coat the AFM sensor (esp the mirror) with oil. The cars you speak of are race cars - different animal from the street cars you see in the US. You could not give me one of these filters to use on my car.

The AEM does a good job - A good compromise for flow vs the stock air box IMO. No personal experience with the Apexi.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
jdub;1603962 said:
The biggest reasons HKS, Blitz, K&N and Greddy are so popular with the Japanese tuners is 1) Three of the four are Japanese companies and 2) they sponsor the tuners cars. None of these filters do very good job of filtration - the majority of the HKS filters are simply foam (dry or oiled) - if the foam deteriorates (easy to do under the hood - heat is the issue) guess where it goes. Plus, over oiling any of the above is a great way to coat the AFM sensor (esp the mirror) with oil. The cars you speak of are race cars - different animal from the street cars you see in the US. You could not give me one of these filters to use on my car.

The AEM does a good job - A good compromise for flow vs the stock air box IMO. No personal experience with the Apexi.

The Apexi is similar to the AEM in that it is dryflow as well; however, in addition to that, it has mesh over top of the element and a velocity stack that's supposed to help minimize turbulence for motors with AFM's. regardless of bias in the article, it's simply the best of those listed in this thread.

I have asked a few folks that have the Greddy and HKS why they utilize such poor filters, and as previously stated, they said to increase flow. one of my buddies noted that he was dissatisfied with how much particulate the Greddy was letting through and planned to move to Apexi or AEM.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I just put a Pipercross filter on my bike.

Have a K&N on my A8L.

Have used K&N's on my Supra for years. No problems at all.

What many people forget is that all oiled filters are depth filters v/s just holes in paper or mesh screens.

Once the holes are plugged up, the filter flow drops, where depth filters just keep on working fine, and many claim they even become more effective at trapping smaller stuff as they build up a coating of dirt/debris that in turn is coated with oil, and actually creates more surface area to trap stuff.

The reason I went with the Pipercross v/s K&N on my bike was the dirt bike filters work great. And this is basicly the same idea, only for the street.
p1618582_1.jpg

p1618582_2.jpg