Bearing selection

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
How many miles were put on them? Remember that toyota's engines are made to last 150, 180, 200,000+ miles, so a short mileage on an engine with new bearings wont tell the whole story.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Im having some trouble understanding the bearing system again... Need some help. I will use an example here. Say i have a #1 main bore in my block (2.5206") and a #1 Crank journal for that main (2.3622"). That would mean i would need a #2 bearing (.0784" Thickness) correct?

Well in order to figure oil clearance, i would need to do this equation.. B=Block main bore, C= crank main journal, Bear= bearing size (thickness)

B-Bear= (C+.0012" to .0019" oil clearance)

2.5206"-.0784"= 2.4422"

2.4422"-2.3622"= .080" Now why in hell would i want .080" oil clearance?

Please someone help me out...i feel like im doing something wrong here...
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=73
Theres the chart with the bearing numbers, crank numbers, block numbers and measurements.

If my C and B are the sizes mentioned above (both #1), with a .0018" oil clearance, my bearing center wall thickness would need to be .1566" according to my calculations, which is not an offered size

Edit: I think my errors are because we are dealing with a circle, which means certain numbers will need to be doubled or divided by two etc... now im just all confused..

Mad-Dax

Jul 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
I want to make sure for myself that the numbers I am looking for on the connecting rod is what is on the side? I have the 3 number and letter combo that is partially stamped on the side of the cap and the rod (to match them up). I am not looking for the single number that is embossed on the very bottom of the cap right?

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Mad-Dax;1385050 said:
I want to make sure for myself that the numbers I am looking for on the connecting rod is what is on the side? I have the 3 number and letter combo that is partially stamped on the side of the cap and the rod (to match them up). I am not looking for the single number that is embossed on the very bottom of the cap right?

Correct. the # on the bottom of the cap has no relevance to bearing selection.