bc 264 tuning issues..

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
I asked this question in a different thread on the site but it seems more fitting here.

I can't get my car to run right no matter what I do. Its set at 0 i, 0 E, and the cps is set to factory spec. I hit it with a timing light, and it is at zero, but it won't idle, and it breaks up terrible... I need help for sure, I'm about to lose my mind..

I've timed many dual overhead cam engines... Back to factory spec... Never for performance..

Thanks in advance,
-Matt

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Is your valve lash set correctly? And are you sure your balancer is correct. Good idea to verify this also. The outer part can slip on the inner section that goes to the keyway.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Valve lash is all in spec. When I was originally checking for tdc, I used a long 3/8 extension in the number one plug hole. When it reached max upward travel, my balancer was at 0 on the timing cover. So I think its correct. I got some insight on another section of the forum, hopefully that will do it, ill post results later today.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
SupraSean;1952769 said:
The timing light is lighting up the 0` mark on the crank? You should be at 10`btdc at idle with the diag box jumpered.

^This. Timing light is electrical timing, not mechanical timing.

Double check your mechanical timing first. Also, what dowel pin hole did you use to install the cam gears?

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
The middle one, right where the old cams were, in the same spots. Cus the cam lobes are in the same orientation. I've double checked my timing many times. I do know now that its supposed to b 10 degrees btdc, didn't know that before. I know with my factory gears that my cams are both a half tooth retarded. Ill adjust the cps, and the timing this time around and see if I can get it all aligned properly.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya you have to manually set the timing by turning the cps with a timing light. There is no spot to just bolt it up and go.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Well with the ignition timing at 10° BTDC, and the cam timing set at 0, the car runs extremely bad. I looked down into the oil filler hole, with the cam in the factory marking spots, but the lobe isn't straight up like it should b. Its retarded about 3 teeth or so.. if I advance the cam 3 teeth then its set like it should b, then I can't get the ignition timing right. I think I got a bad set of cams... BC said they would check them out for me. But I kinduh just want them to send me a new set.. I'm quite unhappy with these cams right now.. I'm going to put the gte cams back in, go see what happens I guess. Ill b sending my bc cams back very soon.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You also need to degree the cams and set them in the right place. Just throwing in cams is not going to work.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
I just degreeed my cams. And I was 4 degrees off on the ex. And 1.5 off on the intake. I also run bc 264 cams
And they worked just fine with cams at zero. Ran fine just super rich idle. Do to lack of vaccume you will have to tune idle with sfac to get it to idle right